Thread: Cylinder deactivation...

Cylinder deactivation...

Apparently it's not exactly new technology......Ben

The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Heck---that ain't nuttin Ben

There is an air compressor company (in West Chester PA) who made a wide variety of compressors based on more configurations than you could imagine. They seem to now be focused on drill rigs.

I have, currently, a Schramm air compressor that was made specifically for companies that did grave markers. This was meant to go out to cemeteries and to be used to add names and dates on stones already on the grave. It is based on a two cylinder throttle controlled (as opposed to a hit-n-miss) engine. Schramm removed the engine head, as seen here on the left cylinder (sorry but the camera person seems to have a twitch!)

My engine/compressor is in much better shape and I have the "truck" but the tank is gone and I never got around to fabricating a new tank---partly because I am so anal and had to make a riveted tank to duplicate the original.

Back to the Ford V-8 running on 4 cylinders---while it was visually interesting Schramm was way ahead in that arena as well. Below is a 1948 Schramm Model 60 Ford V-8 based crawler and air compressor. They also made what they called a pneumatractor which was a combination of compressor and tractor, some were built with frontend loaders and backhoes on them. Most of them had long long hoods since they would use two engines, back to back, one being the power plant the other being the compressor. The only difference was in the heads. The configuration was common to many manufactures during the middle of the 1900's. They weren't terribly efficient but they saved on cost and engineering.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	37709  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture1.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	37710  

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Love the sound of a flathead.. even half of a flathead..