Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Totally avoidable and sad sad deaths

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I installed an 85KW Generac at work. It, too, was software controlled with its own profile. I was given the disc and warned about how expensive it would be to have it recreated. That part makes no sense to me. A particular brand and model should use the same software as any other generator of the same brand and model. But, it had a manual switch built in.
    I agree---that program isn't magic---I would expect the majority are the same. It's just a scheme to hose the buyer down the road.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    A buddy installed a whole house propane system.. one issue is the propane supplier.. supplier works on a system of regular tank refills.. buddy wants tank refilled/topped off every time a hurricane or Nor'easter is predicted in his area.. requires not only a call to supplier but a discussion..

I'd suggest that is a little unreasonable. As an incentive to his supplier he might suggest a "top off charge" of---say $5/gal for anything less than 50 gallons.

I have no real worry about running out. I have a 500 gal tank and we use propane for heat and cooking. If we need propane they will be here.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    I agree---that program isn't magic---I would expect the majority are the same. It's just a scheme to hose the buyer down the road.
    There are pages of detail I could add from my little adventure, but I will add some about the Kohler disc.

It is their standard protocol that it is taped to the inside of the enclosure behind the control panel. This is not shared with the homeowner, or at least not in my case. When the tech started looking for it and couldn't find it, he asked me if I had taken it out. Nope, never even knew it existed. An hour later he found it. It had rattled loose over the last 8 years and fell down under the alternator.

I have no idea why there wouldn't be a nice sleeve in the hundreds of pages of owners manual that comes with it.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

At our remote fire station we knew that the power would go out for up to two weeks at a time in bad storms or fires. We had a 500 gallon propane tank. The generator was on a key start as we could not depend on a tech reaching us when the roads were cut off. KISS Principle. No auto start no automatic transfer switch. Everything was manual. We ran the generator for 10 minutes once a week every week year round.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

In hindsight, that is exactly what I would do if I had a way. Can't get there year round. At least not easily.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

I would be more inclined to go all manual if it wasn't for my own short comings. I would be inclined to not exercise it on a regularly scheduled basis. An HOA option on the transfer switch is a good idea as is the manual start. You can have your cake and eat it to