Thread: An unexpected surprise

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

An unexpected surprise

I have mentioned before that I have a Rolex that I bought many years ago in Hong Kong and I know it has value and I should try to find it.

Well--this morning I had an eye doctors appointment and while I was gone my wife was going through some things in our bedroom. She not only found the the watch but also the original band and all the original documentation, still in it's original green wallet. The papers are the warranty and the certificate of authenticity. I was not sure the documentation even existed anymore.

The date on the CA is April 1963.

I'm going to take it in to get a price on restoring it and then decide how to proceed.

Added in edit: I just called the US Service Center which is on 5th Ave in NYC---but they are only open Monday through Friday so I will have to call again next week.

I had taken this with me to Switzerland with the intent of having the factory work on it. However, they told me that if I left it without the papers I would end up paying duty (as new) on it when they sent it back. Thus, I took it home with me but never took it back to the factory. I am actually excited that this might have a new (or renewed) life.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	36 
Size:	253.4 KB 
ID:	37633  

Last edited by Dave Grubb; 09-26-2020 at 02:13 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis