Thread: 20 MM...

20 MM...

I've written extensively in the past about the General Electric 20 MM M61 autocannon which I worked with in the USAF...I won't bore anyone here with more trivia about that one, but I thought some of us might have an interest in one of its predecessors, the Oerlikon 20 MM autocannon, of which my uncle's ship during WWII, APc-48, carried 4...All hands were trained to operate the Oerlikon although my uncle never spoke of firing one...Pictured below is a restored Oerlikon borrowed from the USS Texas (BB-35) while it is undergoing its own restoration...Photo credit goes to an unknown blogger...

Below that the first video shows another restoration which was being auctioned......Ben

The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

What's it like to shoot one?...I figured you'd ask...

And a few shots fired in anger......Ben

The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

That would put a hole in a doughnut.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    That would put a hole in a doughnut.
    And eat the doughnut......Ben

Very interesting Ben---thank you.

I was too much of leg to be exposed to big boy toys like that
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis