Thread: The bridges of Lancaster County

The bridges of Lancaster County

---covered bridges that is.

Saturday was a perfect fall day, cool, in the upper 50's and low 60's with a nice breeze and a crystal blue and clear sky. We took a bridge tour of some of the covered bridges---including one I last saw in 1972.

Hunsecker's Mill bridge is the longest single span (@180') covered bridge in the county.

The last time I saw that bridge it wasn't "home". It was June of 1972 and Hurricane Agnes was roaring through. I was working north of Lancaster at the time and my wife called me about noon and convinced me to come home then---or I might not get home. As it turned out I barely made it---but on the way as I crossed the bridge over the Conestoga River, with water almost to the roadway I looked up river. Coming toward the bridge was a van trailer (no tractor) followed by a covered bridge

The bridge ended up on the west bank, on it's side and appearing to be intact! It stayed there until early fall when a crew of Amish showed up, took it apart piece by piece, and returned it to it's "home", about a half mile up the river. I never seemed to get there to see it in it's rightful home---until Saturday

We visited eight bridges---stopped at my Amish green grocer and just had a great day
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 09-21-2020 at 10:03 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis