Thread: Now this is prophetic

Now this is prophetic

Paul Krugman is at very least controversial---but this statement should be chiseled in stone.

From this morning's briefing in the NYT:

But it’s also worth keeping in mind the advice of Paul Krugman — a Nobel Prize-winning economist and Times columnist — about single-day stock movements: “Anyone who tells you they know why thereby proves that they have no idea what they’re talking about.”
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I read that earlier and thought just how true it is.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I read that earlier and thought just how true it is.
    I could not begin to count the number of times that I have heard wanna be sages proclaim, in their after hours market report, why the market moved one way or another. Then the next day the only thing that changes is the direction of the market---and they use the same reasons to explain that----apparently many are cursed with damn poor memories

But---then I guess having to say: "I haven't a clue" wouldn't be suitable for such vaulted commentators, no matter how honest.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 09-09-2020 at 10:23 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Tesla got beat up this week. Not being initiated into the S&P 500 took a bite out of them....

My stock market theory has always been hire a professional and share your taste for risk in diversified portfolio. Let them guide you. Then get on that horse and ride and ride and ride. Has served me well. When I first invested in the market the S&P was at 5000. I kept putting in my 401K as much as the IRS allowed for 32 years. It's had it's up's and down's but for sure most good.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

My Father has done very well in the market so i just ride his coattails.... He pays some very high powered advisors and shares their advice with me...