My most common method of cooking steak is not on the grill---it is in a cast iron skillet.

I have our steaks cut 1-1/4" thick. They can be Delmonico, New York strip, T-bone, or Porterhouse (I reserve Sirloin for steak au poivre). My wife and I share a steak and both of us like it done on the rare side of medium rare.

I have my wife take the steak out about 3:30 PM to allow it to come to room temperature. I will then salt (sea salt) and sprinkle with granulate garlic--then leave it in peace.

About a half hour before we want to eat I set the oven to 430 F and put the skillet in the oven on a low rack. When ready I take the skillet out, put it on the stove with a big burner on high, add a touch of olive oil, pat dry the steak and put it into the pan---for 2 minutes, then I turn the steak over for another 2 minutes, remove it from the burner and place it in the oven. If the steak was frozen, I leave it in the oven for 2 minutes, if fresh, 3 minutes. At the end of the time (and I use a timer) I remove it from the oven, place it on a plate and let it rest while we prepare the rest of our plate and/or salad.

Only after we are at the table and have said our prayer do I divide the steak. If you like yours more done, although it hurts me to say it, just increase the oven time

You can find my current mushroom topping in Cheese and Crackers.