Thread: My gas wells aren't alone

My gas wells aren't alone

Although gas prices have recently increased it remains unprofitable to produce.

In the same "boat", are corn and beans

Taken from today's WSJ:

That case was bolstered Friday when Pro Farmer, following a weeklong tour of farmland across seven states, assessed the national corn yield at 177.5 bushels per acre, and the national soybean yield at 52.5. That is slightly lower than earlier U.S. Department of Agriculture estimates but higher than 2019’s waterlogged crop.

For many U.S. farmers, the prospect of grain prices staying low is untenable. “It’s almost a day-to-day struggle to decide what to do next year,” said Doug Sombke, president of the South Dakota Farmers Union and a farmer of 3,000 acres of corn and soybeans in Brown County, S.D.

Mr. Sombke says his local grain elevator is paying $2.87 for a bushel of corn. That is nearly a dollar lower than what he would need to collect to break even. The same is true for his soybeans, for which the elevator is willing to pay roughly $8.50 a bushel.

Prices for corn and soybeans haven’t risen since the start of the year, when the signing of the U.S.-China phase-one trade agreement stipulating China would purchase $36.5 billion of agricultural goods from the U.S. gave farmers hope that export demand from China would buoy prices. Instead, most-active corn futures on the Chicago Board of Trade are down 16% since the start of the year, while wheat has fallen nearly 6% and soybeans have shed nearly 5%.
    ...and Joe's coffee can has about the same return as my savings account.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    ...and Joe's coffee can has about the same return as my savings account.
    Hah!...My money market accounts recently skyrocketed from paying .005% to .015%...I'm rolling in it now......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    Hah!...My money market accounts recently skyrocketed from paying .005% to .015%...I'm rolling in it now......Ben
    Still sticking with that "Money Market Label" hey----I just call it savings account. Different name, same bucket----we are rolling in da same chit my friend
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Cash is virtually worthless as an investment. However, it will always be there regardless of the market.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I'm not sure what the point of this thread is. Are we saying the laws of supply and demand take a while to recover from the central planning department?
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Gas prices suck big time. I'm hoping for a really cold winter since both my oil and gas royalties have sunk to less than penny stock gains.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

All for one and one for all eh? Whoops I got it backwards again.
    This is your mind on drugs!