This is not intended as a position to debate, rather offered as my personal experience--you make up your own minds.

After many years of voting via absentee ballot there was a change this year, I suspect as a result of opening up general access to voting by mail for the first time.

This year I was required to put my driver's license number on the application. There was a note saying that the digital copy of my signature would be used for comparison to the signature on my ballot. That has concerned me now for weeks, the signature on my license looks nothing like my normal signature. It was done in a tiny window with a tethered pseudo-pen with my hand suspended at an awkward angle in space.

So--this morning I gave in and sent an email to the election broad. Within a few hours I had a response. They sent me a form to fill out and signed to be used as my sample for comparison. That form had to be mailed, not scanned or sent electronically and it also required my Voter Registration Number on the form---and yes I knew where to find it