Thread: Trained dogs were able to sniff out Covid-19 infections with 94% accuracy

Trained dogs were able to sniff out Covid-19 infections with 94% accuracy

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/24/trai...acy-study.html

A new study, which was piloted by the University of Veterinary Medicine Hannover, the Hannover Medical School and the German Armed Forces found that, if properly trained, dogs were able to discriminate between human saliva samples infected with SARS-CoV-2 and non-infected samples with a 94% success rate overall.

The hope is this method of detection could be one day be used in public areas such as airports, sporting events and other mass gatherings (in addition to laboratory testing) to help prevent future Covid-19 outbreaks, according to researchers.

To conduct the study, researchers trained eight dogs from Germany’s Armed Forces for one week. The trained dogs sniffed the saliva of more than 1,000 people that were either healthy or infected with the virus. Samples infected with Covid-19 were distributed at random and neither the dog handlers nor the researchers on site knew which ones were positive.
    Man's best friend at work. Might be fast than the testing now being done.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Hope that it works well enough to put into regular use.. it takes way too long for conventional tests..

Some “random thoughts”.. my dog loves my breath after I’ve eaten something with garlic.. and dislikes my breath after I’ve recently brushed my teeth...

Does the dog wear a mask?

Can the dog catch the virus?

And yes, I did read the article.. I’m not running for office so I’m not taking a memory test!

According to my vet it can not be transmitted to dogs.

Not only faster but far more accurate. The accuracy rate of many of the current tests is dismal.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis