Thread: Not all is gloomy

Not all is gloomy

Just as a reference---my investments have overall recovered from their March low. I had declined 18% between Jan and March. Since then I have recovered to 0.1% of the Jan value. It is better than I had hoped for. Surely not everything has recovered similarly. I am still far too heavily vested in energy stocks---and that has been and continues to be ugly.

To lament the absence of any growth in 2020 seems a bit delusional at this point, I am just relieved to becoming out whole, I am too old to suffer another long term loss as we did a decade ago.

I hope all of you are seeing similar or better results.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

About the same here.... I reallocated to reduce my international exposure at just the right time.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    About the same here.... I reallocated to reduce my international exposure at just the right time.
    Good to hear
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

When the plague first was announced I moved a third of my 401K portfolio to short term bonds. When the market started by up I moved right back to a more aggressive portfolio. After it was all said and done I netted a 1.87% gain
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Due to the coin shortage, the level in my Piggy Bank has remained static for some time.
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

Quote Originally Posted by Independent Voter View Post
    Due to the coin shortage, the level in my Piggy Bank has remained static for some time.
    Ya---but you got one of dem dare gooberment pensions

And GRATEFUL for it. Considering my edu-ma -cation level, the 28 yrs. were a blessing.
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

The PM daytrader industry is rather static, which is surprising...With the state of the economy in other areas, I expected a surge of newcomers to the business out looking for precious metal deposits themselves...To my surprise my business has actually increased with very little effort on my part...People who have seen me walking my various routes often strike up a conversation, and offer to save their cans for me...I now find plastic bags full of cans left in front of garage doors and on fence posts on days when I'm expected...Even the local police department put a 5 gallon bucket in front of their office where the officers deposit their soda cans during the day...Last week a driver stopped in the street while I was mining for aluminum, and mentioned he had some at home he could bring me...I gave him my address, and when I got home I found six 60 gallon trash bags stuffed full of cans in my driveway...

I suppose it pays to keep regular routes, and let people know I'm in business to stay......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    The bounce back and a more conservative portfolio has made things “OK”... but.. I violated my own rule and delayed an IRA to Roth roll.. missed the market low and the lower tax bill.. no biggie but just pi$$ed at myself for breaking my own rules..

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    The bounce back and a more conservative portfolio has made things “OK”... but.. I violated my own rule and delayed an IRA to Roth roll.. missed the market low and the lower tax bill.. no biggie but just pi$$ed at myself for breaking my own rules..
    That's exactly why I am enduring the continued cold bath of my energy stocks

Maybe I am still hanging on to them as an act of penance in the hope that I finally learn my lesson

Stimulus impacts on International markets....

https://www.schwab.com/resource-cent...ams?cmp=em-QYB
    Last edited by Phillbo; 07-24-2020 at 10:25 AM.