Thread: Archaeology and a Mexican Cave

Archaeology and a Mexican Cave

I read about this in an article in the WSJ but this open link appears to be very similar.
    Archaeologists excavating a cave in the mountains of central Mexico have unearthed evidence that people occupied the area more than 30,000 years ago — suggesting that humans arrived in North America at least 15,000 years earlier than thought.
    I always find things like this of interest---we seem to think we "have it nailed"---and then another nail shows up
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

The more I either watch History Channel or read articles like this or how we lived in the past I truly amazed.

Good find Dave.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Yes. A good find.

A tidbit I find interesting from our Southern area: the cultivation and consumption of corn (maize) came from South America 10,000 years ago.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Your comment sent me off in search of the story regarding growing of corn in New England and the Indians showing the Pilgrims how to do it.

From my reading I learned that the Indians and Pilgrims both already knew about corn and the Pilgrims very likely brought some with them. Columbus introduced Europe to more than just syphilis---he also took corn back with him.

Columbus landed (in multiple trips) not only on the Caribbean Islands but also on the mainland in the area of Venezuela. I did not see where it is believed he encountered corn.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Corn cobs are quite common "artifacts" in Anasazi country. They turn up in my garden, as have a number of other stone artifacts and pottery.

Interesting food history article. Centuries-Old Paintings Help Researchers Track Food Evolution - Smithsonian Magazine
    https://apple.news/ABsRUc8xZSSSDT57lJPZ0Bw
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Interesting article. I subscribe to the Smithsonian but had not seen (or read) that article.

I'm curious about the corn cobs that turn up in your garden---please tell us more.

In this area we find a lot of stone artifacts, mostly tools and arrow heads. Many arrow heads in this area were made of Jasper. There is a Jasper quarry about 15 miles from here that Indians came to from as far away as the current upstate NY.

Jasper broke on shear plains making sharp tools easily produced. My brother has a fish scalier that works easily as well as anything available today. He was always far more successful in finding artifacts than me. We had one field which had been the site of an Indian (possibly for fishing) village. He would never let anyone else plow that field---that was his!

Larger tools were most commonly made of granite. I have a granite pestle that is about 8" long.

Of course everything I'm talking about here pertains to my private property.

You can't put a shovel in the ground around here without turning up some pottery or something. When I get 30 " or so deep with the backhoe, you turn up all kinds of stuff. But not so much organic stuff unless its mixed in with stone structures as in a fire pit or kiva.

You really find stuff like corncobs in the caves (really the abundant cracks and crevasses in the sandstone rimrocks). Pack rat nests in indian caves are full of corn cobs. Occasionally you will see other textile items.

I sound like I have spent way too much time here in the canyonlands.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

OK---now I understand, thank you---very cool!