Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Have a Utah Medical Cannabis Card

I Have a Utah Medical Cannabis Card

I now possess my Utah Medical Cannabis Patient Card.

I do not assume others will support my decision to utilize marijuana, a substance that is still illegal in many states. But, I believe it's probably better to use marijuana to fight chronic pain long term than it is to use opioids for that purpose. I have no scientific basis for this, it's simply something I feel I should try to make work.

I did not expect it to be easy to navigate Utah's marijuana bureaucracy. And, I was right. Fortunately, I'm experienced at using our government processes and have a working knowledge of Utah's laws. Personally, I think many of the bureaucratic processes involved in controlling Utah's marijuana distribution and use were intended as a filtering mechanism. I suspect this was done to make obtaining marijuana difficult., and to dissuade easy access to the drug - which I think is understandable.

After researching Utah laws and codes, I made an appointment with a designated Medical Marijuana nurse who has the ability to place patients on the official Utah Medical Cannabis patient listing. She agreed with my self-diagnosis of qualifying for cannabis due to pain resulting from many motorcycle accidents over the years. After surviving the last motorcycle accident, I agreed to demands from my family (particularly my wife) to stop riding motorcycles. It's difficult to acquiesce when we have a beautiful warm Spring, but what can one do? For, my wife is right on this one.

I entered all my personal information, which was extensive, onto the Medical Cannabis site and the nurse went online to approve my application. Once approved online, it's possible to print out a cannabis card – which you show to enter a cannabis pharmacy. There are 5 medicinal marijuana pharmacies in my county (of Salt Lake). Once I'm more experienced with obtaining marijuana, I'll consider ordering it online rather than going to the pharmacy in person.

They are building an official Cannabis pharmacy about 5 miles from my house. It will open sometime in August, 2020. My wife and I drove over to the site last week – and it just happened they were having a staff gathering. So, it ended up being a good chance to meet the staff. I've also been to an already operational cannabis pharmacy in Salt Lake City, where I purchased two marijuana tinctures – one is 1 to 1 THC and CBD oil mix and one is 1 to 15 THC and CBD oil mix. Each vial of about 1 ounce costs about $60 per vial. I put about a ml under my tongue before swallowing. It tastes less “green” then I expected. And, it's not a bad taste or aftertaste.

It takes about an hour for it the marijuana mix to fully effect me. One sure sign it's working is I'll break out laughing to something my wife says – when it really wasn't that funny. The high (if you want to call it that) lasts for 3 to 4 hours. And, I've not been able to detect if there are any lasting results. I don't think I've been taking it long enough to cause tolerance – probably due to me only taking a dose every other day for the past few weeks. To be safe, I only take a dose if I'm going to remain home for the rest of the day.

I'll probably try some other marijuana mixes over the next several months. One option I do not intend to try is smoking raw marijuana. Even though it's sold here, I think smoking it could be detrimental to my lungs. And, oddly, Utah's laws allow for the sale of raw marijuana but not the smoking of it. One can assume the raw type is sold so it can be ingested, rather than smoked.

So, as I noted upstairs, I'm now a Stoner. The last time I used marijuana was about 45 years ago when I smoked some with friends as a teen.

I am open to questions or concerns about marijuana usage. I'm fully retired, so I am not concerned about work issues.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

With my predilection to addictions of many sorts, I will not be one to try marijuana in any of its forms...But for someone in your kind of pain, Hunter, and the alternative being opioids, I can understand your decision...I hope you continue to take the good advice of Ninja Wife as she seems smarter than a lot of us......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I hope it works. Opiates are really bad for your second favorite organ.

MJ is an interesting phenomenon that I am watching carefully. Here where it is regulated essentially the same as liquor, there is still a stigma like it's some magic potion from mythical times. And yet the dispensaries are full of regular people of every stripe.

It is big business here and the impact far exceeds the party culture rep you see on the surface.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    I now possess my Utah Medical Cannabis Patient Card.

I do not assume others will support my decision to utilize marijuana, a substance that is still illegal in many states. But, I believe it's probably better to use marijuana to fight chronic pain long term than it is to use opioids for that purpose. I have no scientific basis for this, it's simply something I feel I should try to make work.

100% support your decision. My good friend is crippled with MS and MJ is the best medicine for him to combat the pain and muscle stiffness...

Look at edibles as well.

Opiods are the devil, MJ is natural.

I use a CBD spray on my bad elbow and see a lot of relief...

My friends.... which is all I need to say.

Please keep the observations, thoughts and comments coming.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

If you can get off the opioids the better you'll be.

Our son built up such a dependency on them that he could take the entire months supply in a week. Then cane the MJ which he seemed to be able to get off the opioids. That was great but then we suspected he was getting into stronger stuff. Turning point for us for him staying with us was last year during my recovering from knee surgery he came unglued and start hitting me. I called the cops but then he had left the house. He was picked up and transported to jail, booked and stayed overnight. Was the last we heard or seen of him. Every once in a while we'll get a message from a hospital since he uses the mom's phone number when they ask. Been a little over a year that happened and not a day goes by that we don't wish he would check into a rehab and try to pull his life together. Been a lot peaceful for us except the worry part.

I'll leave it there.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Sorry to hear that, Fred. I hope he can find the help he needs.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

My prayers go out to you and your wife Fred.

Our youngest son was the cause of a fatal accident when he was 17. There were no drugs or alcohol involved---"just" far too much speed and far too little experience.

His life tumbled out of control for the next twelve years. He descended into the depths of alcohol abuse in an attempt to "medicate" his guilt away. For twelve years, whenever the phone would ring at night I knew this was the call that would tell us he had been found dead. I hate to say it, but there were times where I even thought, at least if my fears were realized it would stop the endless pain. It was a terrible way to live, but thank the Lord ---and a baby---he finally pulled his life together.

I know your pain, may you find the relief.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

May it go well for you, your wife, and your son, Fred.

Hunter

Good for you Ute, I see no problem with it whatsoever. I hope it continues to help you. My sister takes CBD oil and swears by it. I have been timid about it since I am required to take drug tests at work from time to time. Fred as to you that is an all to familiar story. I have had several friends in the exact situation. It takes an unbearable toll on family members. I hope he gets his life worked out. We have to find a way to stem the flow of these narcotics across our boarders.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    May it go well for you, your wife, and your son, Fred.

Hunter
    Double that one, Fred......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

One thing I've failed thus far to explain are the effects I've noticed from using marijuana.

The big one: It's a far different experience I've had taking marijuana now vs 40 years ago. And, I think it comes down to quality. When I was a teen and smoked marijuana it was harsh. It choked and gagged me - whereas this new stuff is ingested easily. And, since I'm eating it, the effects hit slower, wider and deeper. It's a much more peaceful and enjoyable experience. I'd describe the high as a Warming.

Some things remain the same. I get "the munchies" just the same as before - as well as "cotton-mouth."

And the price, considering it's a higher quality product, is reasonable.

Most importantly, the marijuana certified for sale to the public is legal. But, I don't think that means there'll be carte blanche for those who are under the influence. I think there will be further legal implications as we proceed. Obviously, I should be cautious.

Hunter

The nice thing about the legal MJ is that the Cartels are not profiting from it -Yet.

Until the federal government accepts it as legal the industry will remain a cash business leaving it open to corruption.

But yes, the quality is top notch and heavily regulated by the growers.

The ability to detect MJ DUI's is something that needs to be pushed but then I'd rather be on the roads with a stoner driving 20mph under the speed limit than a drunk trying to prove his manhood with the throttle pedal.

Yup, the cartels are the big losers here. That said, organized crime still tries to fly under the radar here thinking the LEO's don't care anymore. Our last bust was several thousand plants owned and cultivated by the Chinese mafia. Seriously.

Banking is available here, but it is extremely expensive to maintain an account. And while you may not be able to get a loan from a bank, there is no shortage of investment capital screaming for a piece of the action. The regulatory system has restricted new supply (including expansions) enough to keep people scrambling for a piece of the pie.

The frontier is extraction and the unlimited product possibilities. While flower is still king, extract products and derivatives are gaining.

Oh, and if you want a good pot lawyer, be prepared to get in line and pay top $.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

We have a big old stately bank building in the middle of town. It once was the Wells Fargo Bank, but they have moved to a new building in the shopping center on the edge of town. It sat empty and for sale for probably 5 years until a new occupant showed up. They were not very friendly, posting no passing signs all about and fencing off the parking lots. They had "heavy" looking vans and looked more like mafia than bankers. Nothing appeared in the paper to "introduce" the new arrivals and the entire corner seemed best to be avoided.

It turned out to be a new kind of bank---a cash only bank that served the MJ trade. They have since moved on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	22 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	37527  

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis