Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open for and soliciting suggestions

Open for and soliciting suggestions

The MB is at the dealership---DOA---on a roll back

It feel victim to as yet unidentified invaders who took up residence in the trunk and lunched on the wiring. One of my sons told me there are effective defenses against these ******. Has anyone had similar misfortune and if so do you have a recommendation for anything you might have found that is effective?
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

We used to have an "airport car" parked at airports where we would frequently fly the King Air. The rabbits would occasionally munch on the wiring. They were especially bad at Rocky Mountain Regional (near Denver), where we ended up replacing a wiring harness TWICE that I can remember. And for my old junk cars, I ended up putting moth balls in the cabs to keep the mice out. Probably not a practical solution.

In the mountains, the marmots are notorious for chewing wiring on cabins and such. Maybe a woodchuck? Only thing I know for sure to keep them knocked back is kids with .22's.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

I used to put peanut butter bated mouse and rat traps under the hood of my F350 when we lived in the mountains. I would kill 2-3 of those bastids each night
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

A couple of shelter [ saved ] cats living in the barn.
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    I used to put peanut butter bated mouse and rat traps under the hood of my F350 when we lived in the mountains. I would kill 2-3 of those bastids each night
    I don't want to attract them I want to repel them

I am going to try peppermint oil, which seems to be commonly used, based on my web search. I use mothballs in the Packard, but have no desire to drive around all the time thinking I am driving a closet!

The method is to soak cotton balls in peppermint oil and put them into some kind of small container which is vented.

I still have no idea of how much this repair is going to cost---the good news is that I only have to pay the first $1000 (I hope)
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I once had a mouse build nest in the AC fan hub on my Corvette. The babies are called pinkies. I turned the A/C on and the smell of churned guts hit the cabin. Thankfully it was an easy but nasty fix removing the fan and soaking it in vinegar for about a week to get the smell out. I used poison, don't remember the name but it came in green chunks. I spread them around in the garage. It took care of the problem quickly.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    The babies are called pinkies.
    I learn something every time I log on.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Yeah there is a whole industry that harvests them to feed to reptiles.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Dave one of my friends had a problem with their car. So they took it to their mechanic and when he lifted the hood a rabbit hopped out from under the car. Of course it was a chewed wire.

When I had the 350 Ford I leave it and drive it maybe once a week or so. Opened the hood one day and the local mouse have made a nest all around the engine. Didn't chew any wires and as was turning the corner before I knew about his home I saw him drop out from under the car and scurry off to the desert. Around here I open the car hood as that seems to work. A lot of vehicles around here have their hoods open if they leave it for a time.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Quote Originally Posted by FredK View Post
    Around here I open the car hood as that seems to work. A lot of vehicles around here have their hoods open if they leave it for a time.
    That might be the solution for Dave...Not bad, Fred......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    I once had a mouse build nest in the AC fan hub on my Corvette. The babies are called pinkies. I turned the A/C on and the smell of churned guts hit the cabin. Thankfully it was an easy but nasty fix removing the fan and soaking it in vinegar for about a week to get the smell out. I used poison, don't remember the name but it came in green chunks. I spread them around in the garage. It took care of the problem quickly.
    That reminded me of a funny thing that happened to me. I started up one of the old broncos after sitting for a couple of years. A mouse had built a nest in the muffler, and the babies were flying out of the exhaust when I started it up. I have a video of it.

I also had a mouse build a nest in the air filter housing of my superdoody. That was a surprise.

don"

Quote Originally Posted by CactusCurt View Post
    I have a video of it.
    Dang it - now we REALLY want to see that.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    Dang it - now we REALLY want to see that.

Hunter
    That video is probably where Joe Cartoon got the inspiration for his gerbils......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Only rats we have around here are Roof Rats. They feast on the fermented grape fruit in my tree that are to high for me to pick. The good thing is they don't live and breed where they eat but typically a few houses away. I'll let them have as much fruit as they wants as long as they don't live in my attic.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Only rats we have around here are Roof Rats. They feast on the fermented grape fruit in my tree that are to high for me to pick. The good thing is they don't live and breed where they eat but typically a few houses away. I'll let them have as much fruit as they wants as long as they don't live in my attic.
    WTH are you babbling about? I'm assuming pigeons. Possibly english sparrows.

don"