Thread: Back to School

Back to School

OK, I've about reached my limit of stupid political idiot ideas. We now have some pols. saying that to limit student exposure to the virus, students should be limited to three days at an actual school.
    Can someone please explain to me; Just how do they figure out which days are safe ?. If they cannot do that, then one day or five, the risk is the same.

SEND THE CHILLINS TO SKOOL .
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

If they cannot do that, then one day or five, the risk is the same.
    Actually it isn't, in a very simple mathematical model their chances of exposure would be reduced by 40%.

I agree, we need to get the kids back into school---but it has to be in a way that limits their (and the staff's) exposure. Playing political football does not help create a set of standards for how to best do that.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

This is a big deal for us. I believe they should furnish my wife a bubble to work in. Instead they are fooling with the scheduling. I suppose every bit helps. They are making progress though, at least now each kid doesn't need his own school bus.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Crescent City CA. where the redwoods meet the sea.
    My Squaw was a life long school bus driving instructor and is wondering now days how they could find people to even train.
    Old redneck hillbilly borned and raised on a redwood stump.

I believe teachers should refuse to return to the classroom until they can be assured of safety from the virus.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I believe teachers should refuse to return to the classroom until they can be assured of safety from the virus.
    I agree! Most everybody else is on hold the kids need to be also, the kids parents are the ones at a bigger risk. Why can't kids read at home or learn at home? I thought one of the big fads or what ever you'd call it before the virus hit was schooling your kids at home so as to keep them away from bad influences and distractions?
    This is your mind on drugs!

Quote Originally Posted by mgrist View Post
    I agree! Most everybody else is on hold the kids need to be also, the kids parents are the ones at a bigger risk. Why can't kids read at home or learn at home? I thought one of the big fads or what ever you'd call it before the virus hit was schooling your kids at home so as to keep them away from bad influences and distractions?
    Because all of the kids dont have "equal access" to education. So curriculum gets dropped (science labs for example) to accomodate the least fortunate. Another of the many incremental erosions of public education quality.

Imagine what this angst and paranoia is doing to an entire generation of children.

don"

The lack of education among many parents is a major factor in the need for actual school.
    Additionally, many " low income " families have no internet or computers so remote schooling is not possible.

As terrible as the product of inner city public schooling is with actual classes, just imaging what missing
    two years of it will do to the average child when attempting to advance into the working world.
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

Thinking that all children could be effectively home schooled is unrealistic---for a whole litany or reasons. Just for starters, even if it is a home with two adults, both work.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Public and private schools must be re-opened...The problems are in coming up with ways to do it safely for both students and school personnel, while still maintaining the quality of education...No, I don't have a solution, only the feeling that as time slips by, the task will be more difficult to implement, and less acceptable by all involved......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    The downstream economic impact of that is something I would not want to think about.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Los Angeles and Denver are "starting out" the year online. We all know how it goes once the first domino falls. But I agree that the economic (and societal) impact of a prolonged shutdown might be more than we can stand.

I want my wife to be safe of course. But I am also concerned about my mental health if she works from home for much longer. Me and Gus like our peace and quiet.

don"

I'm not sure how anyone thinks that there can be a "safe environment" in schools. Just thinking of all the kids that come into the store that have to touch everything in sight. Just trying to keep anything clean on surfaces would be impossible.

Back to trying to keep kids and teachers "safe" is another story as either can bring the virus in. Kids may fair better than adults according to what they say. Doesn't leave me with warm and fuzzy feeling if I was an adult in the school.

As for home schooling that I'm guessing a big strain for those parents that are working from home and even worse when there is no one really there such as one or both parents working.

As for the upside if there is one if a kid really applies him or herself to a subject they could with on-line learning maybe complete those classes in a way shorter time than wasting hours in a classroom. Missing is obvious is the social interaction one gets from being in school. Big drawback is that social interaction if they go back will still happen leaving us back to square one.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'