Thread: Texas Story

Texas Story

I have been listening to this interview as time permits and find myself completely enthralled with the story---and keep thinking I have to share this with my Texas friends when I am done---well---it has taken me days and I am not yet done because work keeps getting in the way

This comes to me from a long and dear friend who finds the most interesting things and always shares them with me, this is the most recent . I hope you find it as interesting as I am----I'm about 2/3 through it. It just might introduce you to a portion of Texas history that you are not familiar with.

Enjoy
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I'm several minutes into it now, but I'm surprised that these names, and what they were known for was such a surprise to these guys...I was taught about Cynthia Ann Parker and Quanah beginning in grade school......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I just finished watching and I too am surprised they think this is obscure information. Cynthia Ann and Quanah Parker are a well known part of our history.

I do plan to read the book. And I will post about a massacre that took place not too far from my new home.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I did know (but had forgotten) about Cynthia Ann Parker but knew very little of the details of the Comanches ---most notably how relatively recently all of that took place. I have seen the videos of high rate archery but had no idea that was used so effectively by the Comanches. Maybe, for those of us not from Texas this will have more interest.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I find it of great interest and thank you for posting.

The "past" is not so long ago here as it is in the East where everything was settled and "civilized" a hundred years, or longer, before we conquered the West. The history of the "wild West" remains vivid here. I remember having private discussions about that with Kevin several years ago.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Here is a link to the Killough Massacre.

I have visited the location many times. It was a favorite site for underage drinkers to gather in my youth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I find it of great interest and thank you for posting.
    Indeed, and my thanks too...Of interest to me is the perspective of an event well known to me by those to whom it is new, and took the time to research it...There are always fresh angles to examine...For instance I only recently discovered Shattered Sword, which tells the story of of the Battle of Midway Island as seen strictly from the eyes of those in the JIN air group, not the American forces, nor the JIN battle fleet nor even the JIN covering force...New ways of looking at history can be very revealing...

And Mike, thanks for the reminder of the Killough Massacre...I hadn't thought about that one since high school......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Ha! I just got on Amazon to buy the book from the interview in the first post of this thread and discovered that I already have it! I bought it on March 26th, 2017 and never got around to reading it.

I found similar shifts in history during my Utah years. My base line begins with my ancestors migrating here in 1718. The original farm and house remain--although sadly no longer in the family, about 7 miles from where I now sit.
    Our family's Indian experience ended in 1778 with the "Big Runaway". We have a wood chair (rather crude) which legend has it was salvaged from the house. loaded on a raft and floated down the river to their former home---they never returned up river.

As I have traveled around the world, most of whom far predate our experience I always marvel at the age of their experience compared to our own.

Thanks for the link for the Killough Massacre, that was unknown to me.

An excellent educational thread. Kudos, Dave.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I forgot to mention that Fort Parker was recreated on the original site. It is about a 2 hour drive for me and I have planned to visit the fort for years but I have never made it. Maybe after I finish my move.