Thread: More comfort food

More comfort food

Surely not to be found in Gourmet Magazine (now on-line only)---but maybe I am being drawn to these kinds of dishes because of the time we find ourselves in:

Kielbasa, Cabbage and Pasta Skillet
    YIELD Serves 4
    PREP TIME 15 minutes
    COOK TIME 30 minutes
    INGREDIENTS
    • 12 to 16 ounces kielbasa sausage
    • 1/2 small (2- to 3-pound) head green cabbage or savoy
    • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or ghee (as alternative fry 3-4 slices of bacon cut into lardons)
    • 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
    • I tbs hot paprika
    • 1 tbs ground coriander
    • 1 teaspoon kosher salt, to taste
    • 1 tbs freshly ground black pepper, to taste
    • 2 tablespoon whole-grain mustard or Dijon, to taste
    • 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar, to taste
    • Generous amount of garlic
    • ½ lb wide Amish egg noodles
    INSTRUCTIONS
    1. Halve 12 to 16 ounces kielbasa sausage lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-wide pieces. Core and chop 1/2 head green cabbage into rough 1-inch pieces (about 8 cups).
    2. Melt 2 tablespoons unsalted butter in a large cast iron or regular skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the kielbasa and cook until browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Do not do this, it dries out the kielbasa. Add the kielbasa just prior to adding the cabbage. Add ¼ cup of water to aid steaming. Cover
    3. Add the cabbage, kosher salt, black pepper, paprika, coriander and cook, stirring occasionally and scraping the bottom of the pan to release any browned bits, until tender and lightly browned, 25-30 minutes. Add mustard and vinegar and toss to combine.
    4. Boil salted water for egg noodles and time them to be done at the same time as the cabbage. Drain and mix with the cabbage.
    RECIPE NOTES
    Make ahead: The sausage and cabbage can be cut and refrigerated separately up to 3 days in advance.
    Storage: Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Halve 12 to 16 ounces kielbasa sausage lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-wide pieces.
    That's the same way I prepare my HEB jalapeno sausage for my world-famous* beans & sausage...The rest of the recipe sounds good enough that I might risk trying it soon......Ben

[* its fame, and its aroma have spread from one end of my house to the other, a little farther even when the door is left open...]
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Have the two on the same day and you could probably get around your collection route in record time
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

This thread is heading towards Bilge material....

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    This thread is heading towards Bilge material....
    What's a "Bilge?"......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Not with me, I don't have a Visa for the bilge .

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Not with me, I don't have a Visa for the bilge .
    I can issue you a visa, however it requires two forms of government issued identification with photos, a current NRA membership card and a statement from your primary care physician saying that your vaccinations are all up to date.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Don't forget the valid Man Card ....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I can issue you a visa, however it requires two forms of government issued identification with photos, a current NRA membership card and a statement from your primary care physician saying that your vaccinations are all up to date.

Thanks Captain---but I never asked for a visa. I seldom thought I was better off for having visited that spot

No worries there Puffy---anyone qualifies once you have received fair warning and permission from the Captain. You might want to spray your mask with Febreze before entering. At least in the past, there was a lingering odoriferous cloud that seemed to permeate the place. To Ben's credit he seemed to mellow the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy Cravinmore View Post
    Ten Four!

(PS: I was born in NYC, though I now I happen to reside in TX... I see both sides...)

I can tell

No---I had not previously thought about it---but when you said that it did pull some of your traits together---most importantly, your seeming acceptance of others as long as they don't have expectations of you. Good traits for a place like this

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy Cravinmore View Post
    ...I can't even comment... Like wow.. I was trying to be friends... Oh well...
    I'm afraid I may have been misunderstood---not an uncommon thing around here for me. My comment was meant to be complementary---I sincerely apologize, if I, unknowing insulted you---it was not my intent.

There isn't much I can offer.

You have to get a key from Mike and I never asked for one since I don't have a drive to enter, although my experience in the place is years ago before it became restricted. It might be an entirely different place now, I am sure that the odor has improved---it was once the domain of a lovable and rather earthy old soul

Ben is a far better source of information than me. Ben actually seemed to be capable of going in and coming out again without the immediate need to hit the showers.