Thread: The most interesting diesel conversion I've ever seen...

The most interesting diesel conversion I've ever seen...

I can only imagine how much fun this would be to drive, even in reverse......Ben

The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Ok, besides being completely confused doing the math on the 2 transmissions, I don't see a huge issue with this swap. I had to basically do the same thing to fit my 418 (351w, a Cleveland is another story) into my 69 Bronco. A little gentle clarancing of the firewall, and she slides right in. The T-19 tranny swap was a little more elbow grease.

Tiny Poker's swap of a cummings 4BT into a classic Bronco had a much higher degreee of difficulty, IMHO. What was his website, cummingsbronco or something like that?
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by CactusCurt View Post
    ...completely confused doing the math on the 2 transmissions...
    I'm with you there, Curt...I've always used the rule of thumb that the output shaft of any transmission has to be considerably stronger than the input shaft because of the torque multiplication by the gears...So if the second transmission is oriented backwards (and he did say that both are granny gear 4 speeds), that would mean the new output shaft to the rear end is now a much weaker originally intended input shaft which must take twice the torque multiplication of just one original output shaft...Granted, a little non-turbo 3-53 won't produce gobs of power, but it might be a concern down the road...Still 16 forward and four in reverse would be fun to drive......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

When I was in college back around 1980, I was a yardbird for a big cement trucking company. I spent my days, and many nights switching trailers and getting things lined up and lookin sharp for when the drivers showed up next morning. Me and my buddy did every bad thing in a semi you can imagine. I can also tell you exactly how many cans of starting fluid it takes to blow up a smudge pot, but thats for a different day.

Most of the trucks had 4 x 4 transmissions, and the 10 speed roadranger (?) trannys had just started to make their way thru the fleet. Th 10 speeds were easy; just put a bobtail tractor in 4th, wind her up and dump the clutch. Semi tire smoke.

The 4x4's were a little tougher. I did get to where I could shift 'em brownies with one hand. That was a cool job with a good friend.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

The promised "let's go for a ride" video posted yesterday...
    Four gears forward and backward and didn't kill himself in either direction...
    I call that a success......Ben

New prediction from an industry insider. Diesels will be fine.

Diesel is on the decline, but don't count it out yet https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...?ocid=msedgdhp

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Oak Ridge North Texas, A Native Texan, The Few The Proud
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    I can only imagine how much fun this would be to drive, even in reverse......Ben

My small tribute to Marc.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW! What a ride!"

Love ya Man!

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    The truck is in Alberta.. was there x20 years ago for a wedding.. noticed some of the interesting bodies on the F350s & 3500s.. was told that the weather is so bad that they can only do so much snow mobiling.. anyway the Alberta Farmboys pull the truck into the farm shop and in spring come out with custom flat beds with toolboxes that made my eyes pop.. this conversation sounds like the two brothers took what they had, broken Chevy truck— Detroit Diesel engine.. long winter.. and they built something..

Just my opinion .