Thread: Not Dave's Mill

Not Dave's Mill

I am in the process of remodeling the new (old) farmhouse and that calls for a lot of work I don't necessarily enjoy. Part of that is replacing the interior walls with Knotty Pine tongue and groove paneling. When I bought the planks, I planned to sand them using hand held random orbit sanders. It didn't take long for me to figure out that sanding over 7,000 linear feet of boards was going to be too labor intensive and take way too long to complete. So, I bought a drum sander with automatic feed to help out.

I built an in-feed and out-feed table using materials I had on hand. Once everything was adjusted just right I stood at the out-feed end and did touch-up and final sanding with a random orbit sander.

I haven't had time to install my overhead dust collection system so I just connected directly to the dust collector.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200522_143702.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	218.0 KB 
ID:	37444  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200522_143708.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	146.2 KB 
ID:	37445  

Name:	20200522_143716.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	168.0 KB 
ID:	37446  

Name:	20200522_144750.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	197.0 KB 
ID:	37447  

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

That looks like Robby the Robot bringing your lunchbox......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Good looking pile of lumber. Glad you figured a way of doing it faster.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

I love buying bunks of lumber. I did miles of t&g aspen in the cabin. A very good friend owns the local aspen sawmill (and logging Company). https://aspenwallwood.com/. I like working with t&g soft woods; it's pretty easy and the results are immediate.

I'm curious why you are sanding it? Both the pine and aspen that I have put up was suitable for staining and plenty smooth for a wall. I do like your assembly line. My Uncle in Arkansas has a small sawmill where he makes his own cedar t&g and his setup is very similar to yours.

When I went thru that phase the last time, I had lists, tools, and sawdust everywhere always. I loved it.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Nice set up Mike

Just as a point of information---and I would do exactly what you have done---but sanders with power feeds (per NFPA code) cannot be connected to interior dust collectors, they must go outside and be equipped with spark detection and a deluge system.

Our wide belt sanders require anywhere from 6,000 to 9,000 CFM. Fans are 25 to 50 HP.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

That's going to look real nice when you are finished.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.