Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just from observation

Just from observation

I have seen pictures of the Space X capsule over the last few days and it is visually unequal to any I have seen before.

Going back to the Mercury capsules and continuing through the Shuttle, their design was driven by engineers and function--they were function over form. That compares strikingly with the "new breed" which looks more like a automotive offshoot than a space craft. Obviously there has been involvement by a broader scope of designers. You can have both.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Hope all goes well on the launch.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Crescent City CA. where the redwoods meet the sea.
    Hope it all goes well also as its the first launch that's not the gov.
    Old redneck hillbilly borned and raised on a redwood stump.

I think the older capsules were built to get the job done while protecting the astronauts at the lowest, although expensive, cost. There was no money to make them pretty, only to make them functional.

The Space X model is a much better looking vehicle and I hope it functions as well as it looks.

Unfortunately l will miss the live launch as I have to take a dog to the vet.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

This is incredible---I am working on one screen and watching the launch preparation on the other---I never saw this detail on any of the previous missions. There are cameras inside the capsule as they are putting the astronauts into their seats.
    This is the NASA lead--so no commercials ---only good narrative.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I sure hope you can get some or all of this when you get back home Mike---this is truly extraordinary, you would be as excited as I am.

Watching in the exam room while the dog is in the back.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Watching in the exam room while the dog is in the back.
    Gilligan or Chrissy?......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Chrissy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Chrissy.
    She's my little friend, buddied right up to me even when I was warned she could be a little nipper......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Scrubbed!

Wanna bet---this is amazing---the WSJ says scrubbed---while I watch as they begin loading fuel--apparently no one told the launch crew--they are looking at 32 minutes and counting

I still don't get it, they are at 30:17 and fueling.

Scrubbed at 16:53
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 05-27-2020 at 03:57 PM.

Your stream must have been delayed. It was at the 16:something when I posted scrubbed.

Illustrating life aboard the ISS, at least as it was 8 years ago, is this video hosted by the craft's commander, Sunita Williams......Ben

Are you sure they were not removing the fuel Dave?? I heard it takes 40 minutes.

I'm curious why they had to launch at exactly 4:33 and could not push it by 10 minutes. First thought was timing the ISS dock but they have the ability to speed up or slow down once in orbit...

I just thought about the fact that one of the astronauts heading to ISS could introduce the virus. The current crew are the only people in the world that are not at risk of exposure until the new crew get on board.