The Olympics of 4x4: A Look Back at the Incredible Camel Trophy. The organization ended competitive events 20 years ago.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enth...?ocid=msedgdhp

I'd revered many of the participants and organizers of the Camel Trophy for years. And, in the mid-90's they scheduled an off road "convention" and training session in Moab, Utah. You had to be running a Landy to be invited (as well as contribute significant funds to the effort). My wife and I had a competition-prepared Defender 90 with a 4.0 V8 on 33's we wanted to run. It had the usual 3 lockers, yada yada. So, I prepped the vehicle the way I usually do, taking it apart and putting it back together the "right" way so as to be ready.

So, we drive down to Moab in our Landy and get rooms in the same hotel as the convention. Oddly, we didn't see that many Landy's around. After meeting and talking with participants, we learned few of the participants drove in. Most had their vehicles, and vehicle collections, delivered to them at the site. And, a few of the pros laughed at my Landy because it was literally perfect - but that's just how I keep 'em. Their Landys were dirty and considerably dented.

Out on the trail, the other participants quickly disappointed me with their outlandish, showy and drunken behavior. For, they would really beat their vehicles - rolling several of them in the process. Whereas my wife and I would study an obstacle during a quick hike, then carefully and efficiently climb our way through it. No messy wheelspin, no fuss. Yeah, I've mauled my body in motorcycle wrecks, but I've neve rolled an off-road vehicle. For, if I did, I had just lost my ride home. All they lost in a roll was one of many vehicles they had brought in for the event.

The participants (many of them Irish/English) would drink substantial amounts of alcohol during events. As a result, my wife and I topped most of the competitive events - for we were sober and in good physical shape. Frankly, most of the other participants were rich - and simply there to have a good time. My wife and I also had an advantage because we both know Moab well, as we have been going down there and 4-wheeling for many years. So, it ended up being us "locals" mixing with the rich foreigners. I think my wife and I were also the only couple there that were actually working at full-time jobs. Most of the well-to-do there were pretty much living off investments.

So, did we learn anything from hanging with the Camel Trophy for a week? Yes. But it was mostly about character and societal positioning. Well, I must admit we learned a few things about winching and righting a roll safely.

I think Land Rover did a terrible job of re-doing the new 90 and 110 Defenders. So, we tend to mostly stick with Jeeps now. The old Landy's have gotten way too expensive to keep running well. Yet, if I got a call from some of my Trophy buddies wanting to meet for beers - I'd still do it. They were a bunch of spoiled rich boys, but they were also friendly and accommodating. I would not mind getting stuck with them somewhere out in the Amazon. It would be entertaining.

Hunter