Thread: While looking for truck bodies I got bushwhacked

While looking for truck bodies I got bushwhacked

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

How does that thing turn?

In a wery wery big arch. Many years ago I drove a White 5000 cab over with what was rather poorly worked out steering system. I could hear it scrub off miles of rubber whenever I made a tight turn.

Ah yes!...Good find...Miller Industries is now leading the tow equipment biz with their 100 ton rotator...I get copies of American Towman emailed to me, and when I'm through drooling over Emily Oz I get to catch up on the latest and greatest in the tow world...As monstrous as the Miller units are, the biggest I ever read of was another 100 ton rotator that was shopbuilt by a towing company in New Jersey...If memory serves they built it on a Kenworth C500 twin-steer all wheel drive chassis that had been retired from oilfield service...It was so heavy they needed an oversize permit everytime it left their yard even by itself...But they never found a recovery they couldn't do by themselves...

But the new Miller is going to be a game changer...I'm told many of the new units on order are priced at over a million bucks...Still, if you want character, we'll always have to come back to the UGLY side......Ben

The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Here's a video of Miss Oz at the Miller press release...The tator is showing off by lifting two tow trucks totataling 111,000 pounds......Ben

The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    In a wery wery big arch.
    Why not just articulate it between the cab and the tow bed? The outriggers take all the weight when in use.... I would think that would make it much more maneuverable.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Why not just articulate it between the cab and the tow bed? The outriggers take all the weight when in use.... I would think that would make it much more maneuverable.
    That might be an interesting experiment, Bo...I think the main design inhibitor would be the sheer weight of the recovery equipment, and where on the chassis it would be located...With the boom in a stowed position it seems all the wheels would necessarily be locked in the forward position for transport to the site...But then I'm a guesser, not an engineer...Below Miss Oz presents an attempt at building one on European chassis where the roads are a lot more twisty......Ben

There are multiple types of weight limits, including highways and what is called "bridge formulas". The latter often dictate axle limits rather than gross weight. The spread between axles also comes into play. The bridge limits as well as the manufactures weight limits on axles is what drives the need for an additional axle.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Wow. Now THOSE are trucks. Way cool.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Well Bo, you can take heart in the fact that you and somebody in the US Marine Procurement Division think alike...Below is an Oshkosh MK48/MK15 articulated wrecker complete with Detroit Diesel power and 8-wheel drive with lockers...The main winch is not quite up to the capability of the Miller unit, but you may be able to get by on 30 tons in and around the mean streets of Scottsdale...This one is for sale and is fully street legal...Let the bidding begin......Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    ...This one is for sale and is fully street legal...Let the bidding begin......Ben
    And if the fuel mileage you're getting doesn't meet your expectations, and you can get along without the wrecker while commuting to and from your new job, or making that late night pizza run for Nurse Paula, the power unit can be easily detached in your driveway and operated solo as shown below...And as you can see, having your own rotator onboard can simplify tire changes...Quit paying AAA when you really don't need them!......Ben