Thread: The Brave New World

The Brave New World

Not exactly as foretold by Aldous Huxley, but I do wonder what he would make of our current state of chaos.

My 15 year old granddaughter will be virtually inducted into the national honor society tonight in a virtual ceremony in a virtual auditorium with a virtual audience.

This is the virtual announcement last night:
    Good evening Parents-
    If you are receiving this email, your son or daughter will be officially inducted as a member of the National Honor Society at Manchester Valley High School tomorrow! This is an outstanding accomplishment and I thank you all for your help and patience during this virtual application process. I am not officially telling the students until tomorrow morning- it is scheduled to post in the Google Classroom at 8am. It's up to you if you want to keep the news to yourself for the evening!

While these students are unfortunately missing out on the normal induction ceremony where they would walk across the stage to be recognized and sign the Chapter Membership book, I have created a Powerpoint presentation that recognizes each of the students and I will share that with them tomorrow. Our system won't allow me to share a file that large here. You are welcome to share your student's page of this presentation as recognition with your friends and family. You and your student are also welcome to join us for our Virtual NHS Senior Night celebration on Thursday, May 28th, at 7:30 PM. The NHS pledge will be read by one of our officers, a faculty member will address the seniors, and there will be a slideshow featuring all of our seniors and their future plans. During this presentation, we will also recognize all of the new inductees together at one time and introduce the incoming officers for next year. Your students will receive their membership certificate from me when we return to school.

Please let me know if you have any questions, and again, congratulations!
    All I can say is that---my respect, and pride in her accomplishments are not virtual, she did it the old fashioned way---she worked for it.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Great news.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

The only "blemish" in her entire academic career is one B in Math for one grading period

Her brother and sisters are on their own similar track

...and then there was their grandfather who finished up his secondary educational experience with a finish of 62nd---in a class----of 62

If I couldn't screw it, throw it or drive it I wasn't interested
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Nice. She sounds like it will be worth watching her career once she graduates, 'course she also sounds like a natural for college.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Too bad she didn't do the stage walk with the blue sash. Fun to look at which kids are in NHS. I went to the induction ceremony for one of mine. They did everything but sacrafice a goat. Candles and everything. It was during the school year though, so I suppose the individual schools have some latitude around the timing of elections and stuff like that.

As we have discussed before, lots of work goes into achieving success for these kids. They work much harder than I do.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.