I see two issues..
First is hoe the health care system operates.. Nursing/rehab centers are licensed to provide a level of care that does not require hospitalization. Nursing/rehab centers are for profit businesses. Nursing/rehab centers must take certain patients , Medicaid, who pay a rate lower than their desired rate. but if the Nursing/rehab center cannot handle the scope of a particular patient , to quote your link..
From Breitbart.. "At the epicenter of the outbreak, New York issued a strict new rule last month: Nursing homes must readmit residents sent to hospitals with the coronavirus and accept new patients as long as they are deemed “medically stable.” California and New Jersey have also said that nursing homes should take in such patients. Homes are allowed to turn patients away if they claim they can’t care for them safely"

but.. an empty bed is not bringing $$$ in.. so to refuse a patient may have compounding financial repercussions , remember they are for profit.

Note: being married to someone who's BFF is in the middle of this $#it storm.. the system is broken.. many of the nursing/rehab centers can not perform to the levels that they claim that they can and are licensed to. Any decisions that Coumo made about health care were at the advice of his professional advisers..

Second .. the new trend that we vilify a threat.. Coumo scares the snot out of the GOP.. so.. he has a target on his back.. school yard name calling may follow..

Just my opinion.. i could be wrong..

the North East is a different world than a lot of the US.. here, masks are required for entry into Costco or Walmart or a Grocery.. by law .. stores are one out, one in.. also our local news has a lot of national news.. the network news people will appear on the set of our local news..