Thread: Strange things are happening

Strange things are happening

My wife is suffering from a very bad case of cabin fever. That has propelled her into digging through closets and cubby holes. This morning she came up with my foot locker! I had forgotten all about it. When I left Korea for Nam the Army let me pack up my things and send them home. I think, but not sure that it all had to fit in one foot locker. While that sounds exciting---it was mostly empty of anything dealing with my service in Korea.

However, other things in that closet have turned out to being more interesting. One, in that category, is my release from active duty certificate, DD Form 256A. Until Ben brought up service documentation back some time ago I never gave it much thought--as far as I knew mine had all been lost along the way. Prodded by Ben, I sent for and received my DD-214 which is now filed away in a file cabinet for safe keeping. Being serious for a moment---we have planned our funerals and the funeral director asked if I were a veteran and asked if I had my DD-214, she will need a copy to get the flag.

Anyway---out of the bowels of this closet came my Honorable Discharge Certificate It is dated June 30, 1968, six years after I was inducted. I had a number of letters of commendation from my civilian handlers at NSA, it would be really wonderful if they showed up---they might help move me to tell my kids and grand kids about my service.

Amazingly, the discharge certificate, which would have come to me when we were living in Indiana, is in very good condition, not folded, spindled our mutilated
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    ---out of the bowels of this closet came my Honorable Discharge Certificate
    I received mine in the mail shortly after New Year's Day in 1972...I enlisted on the first Monday of 1966, having graduated High School the previous year...I framed it under glass as soon as I got it, but sadly it disappeared along with my second wife who naturally disavows any knowledge of it...I suppose I can get a copy from the VA, but it's not quite the same...I did find my original DD214 recently, and I still have the certified photocopy I got when I registered it at the Smith County courthouse after my separation...CongRATs on finding yours, Dave......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Somehow all these years I still have the pocket DD-214. Must have carried that for years in the wallet. Now it rest in the desk drawer under the computer.

Funny the only time I think I ever had to use it is when I signed up for a Lowes Card. Home Depot would give you a bunch of BS every time I would ask for a military discount.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'