Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Aircraft Carrier Captain Relieved of Command

Quote Originally Posted by mgrist View Post
    "The captain broke the chain of command" I've heard that over and over but he's being forgiven because he's apparently politically correct. I guess our armed forces are going to hell in a hand basket also?
    Actually he emailed ten officers including his direct Superiors and those officers aids

When he fired Crozier, Modly publicly justified the move by saying the letter was sent to “20 or 30” people, something Modly called “just not acceptable.”
    But a copy of the letter obtained by The Washington Post last week showed Crozier sent it to the three admirals and copied it to seven captains.
    Top officials, including Esper, had not ruled out reinstating Crozier when the Navy’s investigation was complete.
    President Trump has suggested that while he believes Crozier should not have sent the letter, the captain’s career shouldn’t be destroyed for a “bad day.”
    As of Friday, the Navy reported 856 positive cases of coronavirus among the USS Roosevelt crew, with 112 recovered and four in the hospital. One sailor died last week.

The Navy said Thursday it finished testing the entire crew for the virus, but a "small number" of results are still pending. The Navy has moved 4,234 crew members to shore in Guam.

"One of my constituents whose son serves aboard the Theodore Roosevelt told me that she adamantly believes Capt. Crozier’s actions saved her son’s life," Rep. Joe Courtney (D-Conn.), chairman of the House Armed Services Committee's seapower subpanel, said in a statement Friday.

"As we’ve now seen, over 800 crew members aboard the Theodore Roosevelt have tested positive with cases of the virus, and hundreds of crew members are still in quarantine – that demonstrates that Capt. Crozier exercised sound judgement, and did not ‘panic,’ as was alleged at the time of his firing."
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

And Modly remains an idiot who should have been forced to walk the plank rather than resign. I suggest that he be turned over to the crew of the Big Stick where he will serve as steward to the entire crew. 24/7.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I suggest that he be turned over to the crew of the Big Stick where he will serve as steward to the entire crew. 24/7.
    Oh, boy!...Yes, you!...When you're through polishing the urinals in the head, I want a nice bright shine on my work boots before I report for deck duty tonight......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

And Modly remains an idiot who should have been forced to walk the plank rather than resign. I suggest that he be turned over to the crew of the Big Stick where he will serve as steward to the entire crew. 24/7.

Modly is an inept political hack.

From wikiwand:
    On April 6, Modly flew to Guam and made a speech[22] to the Theodore Roosevelt′s crew over the ship's PA system. In it he criticized and ridiculed Crozier,[23][24] saying "if he didn't think that information was going to get out into the public...then he was [either] too naive or too stupid to be a commanding officer of a ship like this [or] he did this on purpose."[25] Ironically, Modly's comments were quickly leaked to the media first as a transcript and then as an audio recording.[26] In other parts of Modly's speech, he told the sailors: "you're not required to love" Crozier, and that the only thing they should expect from their leaders is to "treat you fairly and put the mission of the ship first".[27] Modly also used his speech to criticize the media, Joe Biden, and China.[28][29] While giving the speech, which The New York Times described as a "tirade",[30] Modly was heckled by some of the sailors.[31] Modly spent 30 minutes on the ship; the round trip taken by Modly took 50 hours[32] and was estimated to have cost taxpayers more than $243,000.[30][33] Due to his trip to the Theodore Roosevelt, Modly was quarantined.[34]

When questioned about his comments to the crew, Modly said he stood "by every word", including the profanity that he said he used for emphasis.[35][36] He later apologized for his comments, saying "I believe, precisely because [Crozier] is not naive or stupid, that he sent his alarming email with the intention of getting it into the public domain in an effort to draw public attention to the situation on his ship."[31]
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    Actually he emailed ten officers including his direct Superiors and those officers aids

When he fired Crozier, Modly publicly justified the move by saying the letter was sent to “20 or 30” people, something Modly called “just not acceptable.”
    But a copy of the letter obtained by The Washington Post last week showed Crozier sent it to the three admirals and copied it to seven captains.
    Top officials, including Esper, had not ruled out reinstating Crozier when the Navy’s investigation was complete.
    President Trump has suggested that while he believes Crozier should not have sent the letter, the captain’s career shouldn’t be destroyed for a “bad day.”
    As of Friday, the Navy reported 856 positive cases of coronavirus among the USS Roosevelt crew, with 112 recovered and four in the hospital. One sailor died last week.

The Navy said Thursday it finished testing the entire crew for the virus, but a "small number" of results are still pending. The Navy has moved 4,234 crew members to shore in Guam.

"One of my constituents whose son serves aboard the Theodore Roosevelt told me that she adamantly believes Capt. Crozier’s actions saved her son’s life," Rep. Joe Courtney (D-Conn.), chairman of the House Armed Services Committee's seapower subpanel, said in a statement Friday.

"As we’ve now seen, over 800 crew members aboard the Theodore Roosevelt have tested positive with cases of the virus, and hundreds of crew members are still in quarantine – that demonstrates that Capt. Crozier exercised sound judgement, and did not ‘panic,’ as was alleged at the time of his firing."
    So he was correct in what he did and it was basically a higher up trying to cover his ass, that sounds more believable, thanks for the correction.
    This is your mind on drugs!

It looks like he's staying fired
    The decision to make Crozier's firing permanent is a reversal from an initial inquiry completed in April, when the leaders recommended reinstating the captain.
    There's a lot of indecision at the top......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

About the only good news in this entire story is that Modly is still gone.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

It seems there is more to this story as the admiral's promotion was delayed as well.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

It seems there is more to this story as the admiral's promotion was delayed as well.
    That's because there's at least as much political backstabbing in the Pentagon washrooms as you'll ever hear of in the Senate cloakroom......Ben

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    The culture..
    If the removal of the Skipper is reversed, what does that say about the chain of command that removed him?

If the one star is more seriously disciplined, what does that say about his boss and the superiors who promoted him?