Thread: My world

My world

This has not been given final edit but it is close.

I had no idea that I was going to be singled out!

You may be prompted to download an app to be able to view the video.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...tzFnCoZVFLGhHm
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 03-29-2020 at 01:19 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Cool!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Wowzers!!! Well done!

I’ll tell you about my 15 seconds in the spotlight.

Working for the county DOT.. getting ready to leave the office on business when I’m asked to help the PR department (woman) on my way out.. I find myself in a bus shelter (outside of parking garage).. weeks later I find a DVD on my desk with a post it.. the DVD is an informal vid for senior citizens using public transit and I’m (white hair) the knucklehead who can’t read a bus schedule.. I’m only on camera for a few seconds but I’m a serious dufas for those few seconds..

Ya did exponentially better than I did!

Thank you guys

When I started working with Island, in April of 2010 they were a 15-18 million dollar a year company with little chance to grow. Their manufacturing process in 2010 was what I describe as "craft based". Typified by a large collection of craftsmen, with a set of drawings that were no more than pictorial representations of what the Architect had in mind. It was up to the individual craftsman to articulate the final product through a series of what I call "nibble to fit" operations. They had a couple of CNC drilling and routing machines but they were drastically under utilized. My first challenge was to convert the pictorial representations to engineering drawings that could then be translated into CNC programs. Once that happened, I banned all drills (hand drills) at the workbenches (I pushed that point home by cutting the cords off a few dills that lingered "in place")and took out at least five table saws and an equal number of band saws. There were times I was not liked by our union work force and might even have teetered on the verge of loosing the faith of the owners---but alas they hung in there with me and the union realized this might be their future as well. We slowly moved to "net size" components coming to the "bench men" who could then concentrate on assembly without need to "nibble to fit".

Without knowing the impact of the current upheaval, the plan for this year remains at $75 million.

Island management has fully invited me in. I have two years remaining on a five year agreement which will bring me to age 77---who knows, I might go for another five
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 03-30-2020 at 10:32 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis