Thread: An excellent addition to the pepper selection

An excellent addition to the pepper selection

My dear friend who seems always to come up with great new additions in all aspects of life picked up a jar of African Bird Pepper AKA numerous other names. It is wonderful---the heat is on the same level as mid-level Habaneros, with a very agreeable flavor of their own. I think I am hooked

Interestingly enough, she found this at a local bulk food store run by an old order Mennonite family. Mennonite and Amish food could well be called "bland"---they are, for the most part, not into spicy foods. That said, my Amish/Mennonite green grocers are increasingly growing hot peppers---a change I much appreciate

Growing the best hot peppers in this area is labor intensive--which fits well in their plan. I used to start mine in March, then move them out in late May, in rows covered by black plastic to help warm the soil--and then pray they would ripen before the first frost.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I've recently found the Aleppo Pepper to really spice up meals without a lot of additional heat. I've added it to a couple of our rub blends.... https://www.bonappetit.com/story/what-is-aleppo-pepper

I have heard of them but never tried them. They sound interesting to me. I have limited opportunity to use hot peppers in my cooking. I almost exclusively have to add pepper to my food after plating. I am famously bad in trying to add pepper in amounts not offensive to the normal pallet. I just ordered 4 oz from my on-line spice source.

Thank you
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Use Turmeric whenever possible. It's good for inflammation in the body.

On a side note. My Chiweenie developed a really bad limp and I took her to the vet. She has a knee that pops out of the socket and the doc put her on anti inflammatory meds for a couple weeks and told me that if they did not help she would need surgery. Once the meds ran out the limp came back so I did some research and came across a Turmeric Curcumin for Dogs. She get half a does each day (bacon flavor so she begs for it) and the limp has completely gone away...

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Use Turmeric whenever possible. It's good for inflammation in the body.

On a side note. My Chiweenie developed a really bad limp and I took her to the vet. She has a knee that pops out of the socket and the doc put her on anti inflammatory meds for a couple weeks and told me that if they did not help she would need surgery. Once the meds ran out the limp came back so I did some research and came across a Turmeric Curcumin for Dogs. She get half a does each day (bacon flavor so she begs for it) and the limp has completely gone away...
    Excellent---and Turmeric is a commonly used spice in my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    My Chiweenie developed a really bad limp and I took her to the vet. She has a knee that pops out of the socket and the doc put her on anti inflammatory meds for a couple weeks and told me that if they did not help she would need surgery.
    My oldest Peke-a-Poo had the surgery on both knees, and never had another problem...The other one, her son, had strong knees and didn't need the surgery......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Speaking of Turmeric. I made Palak Paneer for the first time last night. It turned out pretty good. The only change I would make next time is to sear the paneer a little less and cut it into smaller pieces.

I had to look that up---I had never heard of it

I've been experimenting with curry..... Next curry dish is going to be Chicken Tikka Masala.

I don't do much with curry---my wife is not a fan. When I need a good curry fix, we go to a very good local Indian restaurant and my wife orders non-Indian foods while I indulge.

When I lived in Montreal my apartment house was very heavily Indian families. The good news was that the hall was saturated with the smell of curry but somehow it never came into my apartment. When I was living in Toronto, I had an Indian engineer working with me and he properly introduced me to Indian restaurants (of which there are many in Toronto) and Indian food--to the point that I became comfortable to go to them on my own. I became such a fan that I was concerned of taking on the body odor of curry--but I never got to that point.

I developed, along with the curry, an enduring love of goat--not always easily appeased locally outside of the few Indian restaurants. I seldom see goat in the stores. NY is a bit better with the Islam population there.

My strangest encounter with curry---in Germany. There are areas in Germany were "currywurst" is ubiquitous---it is a German version of fast food

I first had goat in the Bahamas. I went to a public bar-b-que and had the best ribs and peas and rice... they were goat ribs.

I guess we don't eat more goat because it likely is not easily commercialized. There isn't a whole lot of meat on a goat---they are very bony. They work better for more poor areas---they will eat almost anything.