Thread: Local Child Prodigy

Local Child Prodigy

The small town that lies about halfway between Ben's place and mine has a child prodigy I just read about. It is an amazing story and I'll just link it here.

.......14-year old son Eric’s early childhood accomplishments — from counting to 100 in English and Spanish when he was 2, to understanding calculus concepts when he was 4.

“He was just constantly hungry for learning,” she said. “It was like he needed it. He would just absorb it, and it would be in and he would want the next thing.”

Eric is an aerospace engineering major with minors in chemistry and mathematics at Texas A&M University and recently was accepted into the engineering honors program. He completed his math minor through dual credit before he became a full-time student last semester. Originally, he was a chemistry major, but while he excelled in his coursework, he decided he was “slightly more passionate about aerospace."
    The Rest of the Story
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Great story it is amazing how gifted some people are.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Wish he'd have stuck to the chemistry side, we could use a brilliant antibiotic discovery.
    I think everyone has more brains more ability than they ever develop. I like to believe my kids are so smart because of the way I raised them. My daughter always has a "do you remember when" thing whenever we get together. Even my son and I only had him every other weekend.
    This is your mind on drugs!

I hope all goes well for him and offers him true enjoyment. He is on a lonely path.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    I hope all goes well for him and offers him true enjoyment. He is on a lonely path.
    Yea he is, thankfully it sounds like he has some parents at his side not hollering from the back. He could end up trying to be the class clown end up drunk and in jail, peer pressure is tough.
    This is your mind on drugs!