Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I broke down and purchased some nice hiking boots

I bought my wife some Merrell's and I thought I was spending big money..............but as the outdoors man you are those will serve you well.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    New soles and heels go for something between $100 - $200.
    I must be getting away cheap...I don't pay anywhere near that at Conroe Shoe Shop...

I went to Academy and bought some Magellan shoes today...Took them on a four mile metals route this afternoon, and they feel better than the Reeboks I had, but I get a little chafing around the ankles......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    I bought my wife some Merrell's and I thought I was spending big money..............but as the outdoors man you are those will serve you well.
    I looked at the Merrills but they were just out of my reach...Magellan was $40......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    I looked at the Merrills but they were just out of my reach...Magellan was $40......Ben
    Good move... have had one pair of Merrill’s, received a lot of oos and aahs.. but not for long, they fell apart.. Merrill will not ask me for a testimonial..

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Good move... have had one pair of Merrill’s, received a lot of oos and aahs.. but not for long, they fell apart.. Merrill will not ask me for a testimonial..
    Thanks, Joe...I guess I dodged a bullet......Ben

I must be getting away cheap...I don't pay anywhere near that at Conroe Shoe Shop...

I went to Academy and bought some Magellan shoes today...Took them on a four mile metals route this afternoon, and they feel better than the Reeboks I had, but I get a little chafing around the ankles......Ben
    pull your pants up and wear a belt next time Ben
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

I feel your pain, Joe, literally...We both have diabetes and narrow feet, and good bootmakers don't care...I keep resoling and reheeling the same three pair of Luccheses I've owned for decades because they're the closest things to a good fit that I've found...

Now I find my old Reeboks are in bad need of replacement due to double duty as can crushers, so I have to make the trip to Academy soon for a trying-out session...I suppose we can both be thankful that neither of us has my Dad's feet, 14AAAA with 6A heels...He spent a lot of time browsing shoe stores in his travels......Ben
    I found my last sneakers at academy and they were $115.00. I tried then on and found the size I needed then bought them online fpr $95.00
    I just noticed you found some already, good.
    This is your mind on drugs!

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    pull your pants up and wear a belt next time Ben
    Hmmm, it seems I remembered the belt and forgot the pants...Again......Ben

Not a problem getting soles and heels here.

You don't throw away boots that cost several hundred dollars or more. You get them fixed. New soles and heels go for something between $100 - $200.
    Nicks shoe repair in San Ramon does a full resole on my hiking boots for $70 with less than a week turn around time and he does excellent work. 4 man operation and they are always slammed with business
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Quote Originally Posted by mgrist View Post
    ...then bought them online fpr $95.00...
    Ahhh… that's what I do as well. If I want to see a large selection I usually go to the DSW store and find a pair I like. Then, I go online and buy it.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Maybe I'm misremembering the cost of repairs. It has been a long time since the last pair.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Maybe I'm misremembering the cost of repairs. It has been a long time since the last pair.
    Welcome to the world of advancing age...It was probably just last week, but we've all slept since then......Ben

Welcome to the world of advancing age...It was probably just last week, but we've all slept since then......Ben
    What was just last week???
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

What was just last week???
    Have we met before?......Ben

I resoled my Redwings two times, not enough boot left for three times. I am rough on shoes for some reason. When I was tieing steel I understood it but not now, oh well cheap boots wouldn't have had the chance to be resoled. I think it was around sixty dollars? Give or take ten.
    This is your mind on drugs!