Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I broke down and purchased some nice hiking boots

Quote Originally Posted by mgrist View Post
    I resoled my Redwings two times, not enough boot left for three times.
    Redwings were always the most comfortable, longest lasting work boots I found......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    Redwings were always the most comfortable, longest lasting work boots I found......Ben
    My go to boot when I was working. Now cheap $19.00 hiking boots from Wally World work for me. Last about 9-11 months and then a new pair. Those and custom built insoles work for me.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Found a pair of Wolverines once that were really good. I believe they are made by Redwing anyway. I tried on a pair of Carolina Boots one time in a chain shoe store, I was was just looking while the wife bought her weekly pair of shoes but ended up buying two pair, I still have both pair. They were a little heavy but no bother back then. I've definitely had more redwings than anything else.
    This is your mind on drugs!

7" top Redwing Fire Boots were all I wore for 12 years on the fire line. I would have to resole them each year after wearing out the lugs. I would get about 3 years out of each pair

"The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

I went to Academy and bought some Magellan shoes today...Took them on a four mile metals route this afternoon, and they feel better than the Reeboks I had, but I get a little chafing around the ankles......Ben
    I gave them a fair try...They kept rubbing a hole in my ankle, and with diabetes that is not good...I also got tired of using the hooks they have instead of eyelets, very inconvenient...I ordered a new pair of Reeboks from Amazon, and in the meantime I'm wearing my old Reeboks with the worn out soles...I'll clean the Magellans up and donate them to the Assistance League...If some hobo can wear them, it might make up for some of his lost precious metal......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Back in the ancient daze.. in Navy boot camp.. we were issued “boondockers”.. chuka cut work boots.. they were like boards nailed to your feet.. on day two the place almost shutdown because if the number of blisters.. on day three the Chief came to see us, visits by the Chief were not usually the sign of a good day.. the temperature had already climbed past 90 when we were instructed to carry buckets of hot water from the first deck shower to the sidewalk behind the barracks.. he had us fill out boondockers with hot water, let them sit for a few minutes (while we lounged on the lawn) and then put the soaked boots back on and lace them tightly (a second pair of Sox was recommended) .. we then walked in them for several hours while they dried..

They were some of the best fitting shoes that I ever owned.. it worked wonders..

I do the same hot water treatment still , only now I use it on leather work gloves.. breaks them in on one hot day..

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Back in the ancient daze.. in Navy boot camp.. we were issued “boondockers”.. chuka cut work boots.. they were like boards nailed to your feet...
    Sounds like what we were told to call "brogans"...I hated those things, but until I got to my first permanent duty station (why do they call it permanent when they still move you around all the time), I had to wear them...The first thing I did at Spang was to procure a pair of comfortable jump boots, then I made them more convenient by having zippers installed on the inner sides (strictly against USAF policy, but we all did it anyway)...USAF policy also required me to have my brogans available for inspection, and kept in a black condition (not shiny, just black)...They may still be in my duffel bag in the garage...I need to go inventory what's in there some day...

That's good advice about the hot water; I'd try that on my Magellans, but there's not much real leather in them, and they'd still have those stupid hooks......Ben

My new friend Reuben has suggested I try some Vessies, but even with his generous discount they're a little pricy for me...They sure look comfy though...Maybe after the quarterly report comes in for the precious metals bidness......Ben

I'm going to have to wait until someone I know gets some. $130. seems high for rubber shoes made in Taiwan, although that's not really relevant it sounds like a good excuse for being cheap. What bothers me; Somebody asked the question of what to do if the shoes they got were too small, the answer was don't worry about it they will stretch out and fit just fine in a couple of days. I don't want stress determining how my shoes fit. If they are going to stretch out should I buy 11's instead of 12's? there are no 1/2 sizes.
    This is your mind on drugs!

I have a couple of hundred miles on the boots now. Damn comfortable, I can wear them for 10-12 hours at a time with no rubs or hot spots on my feet.
    Last edited by TriGuy; 03-10-2020 at 09:53 PM.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Having bad feet from birth. No arch and pronation with my ankles being rolled in and blowing out my knees in my 20's is part of the problem finding size 12/13 boots in wide widths. Also being an oversize load does not help. I found a pair of One Sport expedition weight boots when I lived at the canyon that lasted a year and a half before I broke them down. Went looking for a new pair and they had been bought and no longer made the boot.

This is the last boots I purchased and am not thrilled with the support for my ankles. I've work them three times. Always wanted a pair of Gortex boots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boots.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	238.2 KB 
ID:	37297  

Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson

I went for a hike in the rain. I forgot about the high clay content of the local soils. Sticky goo and slippery as snot. The sole design did rather well. The open channels let the adhered goo eject out to the side giving the tread so ability to bite into the next sloppy step. My feet stayed dry. It took 15 minutes with a putty knife to get enough mud off to even think about putting them on a towel in the trunk of the car and another 15 with a high pressure hose nozzle at home to get all that crap off