Thread: How far we have fallen

How far we have fallen

I'm embarrassed as I listen to this. I'm embarrassed and angered by what we have become and how far America has fallen from the position we held in the world during President Reagan's time in office. Compare this talk, characterized by humility, to our current debacle.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Thanks for the link, Dave...I did not hear that address to the nation until today...I especially liked the President's continual emphasis on history and its lessons for those who pay attention today, since that has become a focus of my own dwindling time here...But I disagree with your thread title...I don't think we've fallen as a nation at any time so much as we've stumbled, only to recover and continue the course......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    Thanks for the link, Dave...I did not hear that address to the nation until today...I especially liked the President's continual emphasis on history and its lessons for those who pay attention today, since that has become a focus of my own dwindling time here...But I disagree with your thread title...I don't think we've fallen as a nation at any time so much as we've stumbled, only to recover and continue the course......Ben
    ..and I hope (and want to believe) that you are correct sir.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis