Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BOA Bankruptcy

BOA Bankruptcy

The coming BSOA Bankruptcy action follows a deluge of sex-abuse claims. And, even bankruptcy may not save them.

Some of you may of had similar experiences as me - seeing what my friends were doing in Scouts.

However, the rest of the story was not a good one for me. For, my parents moved to another state - Utah - and BSOA at the time was fully entwined with the LDS Church (fittingly called simply "The Church" in Utah). So, to join the scouts meant meeting at the local Ward house and having a Ward Elder pray for us to open the meeting. Now, my Methodist parents weren't about to go for that. So, I missed out on many neighborhood activities and events.

So - today I hear the BSOA is troubled by a major lawsuit and could go under. And, I was pleased - for about 30 seconds. Then, I thought about all the good this organization does in our world. This was not about me, it's about what's best for our youth. The BSOA can be a big part of that.

My BIL was as intelligent as they come. He whizzed through our education system and garnered Sterling Scholar status. And, he was accepted into a medical/PhD program at age 16 - he was that brilliant. But, he considered his best achievement to be gaining his Eagle Scout rank. He's no longer with us and is dearly missed. He truly was a wonderful man.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Webelo (sp)... scout and eagle scout here...Troop 346 was best in class until our troop leader was arrested for selling drugs... Homosexuals were never an issue at that time...

I was in the Cub Scouts as a kid, and enjoyed my time there...Lots of woodcraft and Indian lore as I recall...I never went on to the Boy Scouts though...I agree that the organization did a great deal of good, but apparently some of its leadership perverted its aims hastening its downfall...A damned shame......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Was three merit badges from being an eagle got a driver's license and discovered girls such a sad reason as I look back not to achieve that goal. We had one assistant scoutmaster I had suspicions as to his sexuality and one of his sons was clearly gay. None of them ever bothered me. I enjoyed my time in the scouts. It was too bad when all of these politically correct people started making them let girls in and all of that kind of crap. Too bad to see them go down
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Pedophiles find easy access to children any way they can. For many that means finding a job with the access they seek. Be it in the clergy, schools or youth organizations, pedophiles will find a way to be there.

That said, my Dad was a professional scouter. He gave me a lot of great experiences because of his job and the times he shared with me in all of the various activities and places he went as part of his job.

The BSA is a great organization that has been mostly ruined by the pedophiles who infiltrated and abused the boys. It's a shame because the BSA had so much to offer.

[added on edit] Most of you probably remember Big Old Deer Hunter, one of our members who has sadly passed away. He was also a professional scouter before becoming a school teacher.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Well said Mike. BOD was a value ad to the site!

My Eagle project was building a wooden bridge across a creek that was being abused.... 40 years later the bridge still stands and is still needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    My Eagle project was building a wooden bridge across a creek that was being abused.... 40 years later the bridge still stands and is still needed.
    40 years later. Now that's cool!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Being a builder and seeing how some of the professionals build stuff I'd give that a double "That's Cool" Yea way cool!!
    This is your mind on drugs!

I was in the Scouts for a day. That was all it took for me to realize that it was just not my cup of tea. I have no regrets on that decision. Regardless of the good that Scouts may have done, the fact that they as an organization ignored, were unaware or just looked the other way cannot be excused.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    I was in the Scouts for a day. That was all it took for me to realize that it was just not my cup of tea. I have no regrets on that decision. Regardless of the good that Scouts may have done, the fact that they as an organization ignored, were unaware or just looked the other way cannot be excused.
    Yeah but I still built a bridge.....

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Cub scouts to Boy Scouts to Sea Scouts (Explorers) then moved.. was a Star Scout, would have been Life and Eagle if there were merit badges for procrastination .. had a great time, learned a lot.. never saw any bad conduct by leaders..

A Bridge! Wowzers! Go Bo!

I think was a first-class when I went on my first snipe hunt. I totally believed it. Afterwards I felt like a complete fool but it was a instruction as to reality which led to a lesson. I had a really good time in the scouts
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I just don't know who is to blame. I can usually find someone or something to blame without any trouble but not here. I want to be mad at someone though.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by CactusCurt View Post
    I want to be mad at someone though.
    Agreed......
    My top choices would be those who abuse, and those who enable them......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...