Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm Guessing He Had a Really Good Head Wind........

I'm Guessing He Had a Really Good Head Wind........

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

He probably trained on a carrier deck......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

If you scroll down the take off was equally amazing.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

If you scroll down even farther, you'll find this amazing video:

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Amazing, I would have never thought that was possible in a fixed wing aircraft.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    Amazing, I would have never thought that was possible in a fixed wing aircraft.
    Nor would I.

The weight to power ratio in these planes is impressive....and the head wind helps.

I once landed a 230 SF canopy in a 24 knot head winds and had to step back a few steps on landing....

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    The weight to power ratio in these planes is impressive....and the head wind helps.

I once landed a 230 SF canopy in a 24 knot head winds and had to step back a few steps on landing....
    I noticed a couple of the planes were real close to having the tail flip over the top of the airplane because of the sudden stop forward momentum. I don't think I'd want to be in any of those airplanes they're so specialized that they probably handle crazy

I like my landings long. My shortest was on a "sand bar" in a Cub in the Yukon. I have a picture of an aborted landing attempt (one of several) I will track down when I get the computer out. Taking off in the same space is the real challenge. Especially with packs and meat and stuff. In my case we were lucky because we could fly off a cliff.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

If you scroll down on the first link, there is both a discussion and another video of the same plane taking off.

Bush pilots are mostly amazing and a few are simply nuts

My most tense adventure was not landing or taking off---it was flying through a pass (Lake Clark pass) with zero visibility--and the pass has a dog leg in it. He did it with way points on his GPS---but the pass at many places is only a few hundred feet wide.

I calmed myself by thinking that with the visibility we had there would be, at most, a fraction of a second between seeing the mountain and nothing---not even enough time to soil my undies
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    a fraction of a second between seeing the mountain and nothing---not even enough time to soil my undies
    At your eulogy it could have been said, "Dave looked death in the face, saw the mountain coming at him and didn't even flinch or soil his undies"...I suppose there are worse ways to go, but I still prefer putting off the event as long as possible......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

My brother is a pilot. It's just something he wanted to do - not as a living - just for fun. Me, I hate flying - and just do it as necessary for long trips.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

This is what a pilot would call an "unusual attitude". That plane is going about 50 and is on the verge of falling outta the sky.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0291.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	409.3 KB 
ID:	37242  

"Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by CactusCurt View Post
    This is what a pilot would call an "unusual attitude". That plane is going about 50 and is on the verge of falling outta the sky.
    I'm reminded of the Heritage Flight at the 2012 Wings Over Houston airshow...That year the participants were a P-51 Mustang, a P-47 Thunderbolt, an F-22 Raptor and a QF4-E Phantom which was flown in from my last assignment, Holloman AFB...They flew the diamond formation as slowly as possible for the maximum number of photo opportunities...The P-51 and the P-47 were just loafing along, while the F-22 could probably have held position while doing backflips with its vectored thrust...But the old F-4 was never designed to fly that slow, and when they stood their aircraft on their wingtips for the parade pass (which always gets a big round of applause) it was all the Phantom driver could do to hold formation...He was wobbling all over just trying to stay airborne...That's probably why they had him at the bottom of the formation, just in case......Ben