Thread: If you work hard and accept responsibity for yourself---bend over

If you work hard and accept responsibity for yourself---bend over

...because you are going to get a chance to help out those who don't.

My own story of how to graduate without debit:

1. Use up all your savings.
    2. Work full time while going to school full time. (I got an engineering degree in exactly 4 years---not commonly done.
    3. Keep your wife working.
    4. Qualify for the GI Bill. Despite that amount being a little over $100/month at the time, it did pay for the books.
    5. Have your wife bring home lots of uppers to be able to function on 3 hours of sleep a night. (I think what I was taking were called "yellow jackets")
    6. Go to a University that both understands and cares! I never got hassled about my tuition bill. When I would register for the next term they would, in a non-threatening way, ask when I thought I could get my last term paid off. It was an excellent move on their part----that treatment has guaranteed them a very respectable donation yearly, at first moderate, now not so moderate.

No, I don't wish that on everyone. Had I not had a trade I probably could not have done what I did--and I think it far more difficult today than it was 50+ years ago---but I do feel strongly that everyone has to have skin in the game.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Yup, already complained about it. I saw plenty of student loan debt go straight up peoples noses when I was in college. Student debt relief is bs (the slippery slope to govt owned mortgage debt?). And worse is what it will do to the value of a degree. I have already started talking to my boys about how to assess talent in a world of diversity hires and participation degrees.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Crescent City CA. where the redwoods meet the sea.
    There's lots of talent to acquire by just working hard and learn a trade.
    Old redneck hillbilly borned and raised on a redwood stump.

Or you could take another path. You could get shot in the line of duty as a cop, get the small pension, put yourself through college and law school, get lucky get a good job, slave for 31 years and come here everyday and argue with strangers. You never know where life will lead you.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    You never know where life will lead you.
    As long as it leads you here, you're in fine company......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    As long as it leads you here, you're in fine company......Ben
    That would be a 10-4.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Ahhh… yes. All of our friends here took some amazing paths in life to get here. Kudos to all of you.

Me? Ironically, I worked my butt of in College, working full time to pay back student loans. Then, right as I started Grad school (literally the same day) I became a Parole Agent - and the Corrections/Jail system paid for two grad degrees over the next 7 years. I would have gone to work for Corrections earlier if I had known they would pay for my education. Oh well, what can one do?

The best thing that happened to me was meeting my wife at work. She came into my facility to interview for a job, and I boldly walked up to her and introduced myself. She got the job (the first woman to do so in Salt Lake City) and the rest is history. We're still together 35 years later.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I worked my way through college. Drove garbage trucks in Jr College. Night Time Security at a lumber mill at Humbolt State
    Finished up at San Jose State managing a Pizza Joint. Never took out a loan, never got a scholarship, took me 15 years working a 40 hour a week job and going to school part time. Worked 15 in High Tech sales then 12 in Fire and the last 12 in EMS. Still broke but damn I had fun along the way and I would not trade any of it away.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

As many know, I was in my third year of the fourth grade, just starting to get the hang of it when my draft notice arrived in the mail...Later in life I got lucky and cashed out just before the Retired Forum Administrator Fund bubble burst...I now eke out a living as a day trader in the precious metals racket......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I never had an opportunity to go to college. Life got in the way. I lied my way into an Architectural Firm right out of High School doing Red Line corrections on blue prints. A few years later the firm closed and I bought all the equipment I needed from them, had business cards printed and gave them to all the firms clients. Next thing you know I'm 24 years old, getting married, buying my first house and starting a Drafting and Design company. I did very well until the economic crash / real estate bubble burst in the late 80's when I found myself spending more time in small claims court filing mechanics leans against Spec Home Builders than looking for new clients that did not exist. I had to close the business and took a lame job at a major bank filing fraud claims.... 24 years later I'd worked my way up to Vice President only to find myself as one of many being displaced ( at 25 years Annual Bonus, PTO Time and salary increases all took a big jump up so we were gone). Last five years have been a couple contract gigs and a short stent with another Bank and I have learned that ageism does exist. All I need is one good paying position to work for about 5 years and then I can cash out and sail away. I'm still looking and living on savings at this time.

I don't think that if I had gone to College I would have been positioned any better today than I am.