Thread: 2 U.S. Troops Killed By Taliban Bomb In Southern Afghanistan

2 U.S. Troops Killed By Taliban Bomb In Southern Afghanistan

Two U.S. soldiers were killed and two others injured when their vehicle struck a bomb planted by the Taliban in southern Afghanistan on Saturday, according to a U.S. military statement reported by the Associated Press.

The U.S. military vehicle was traveling in Kandahar province when it hit the roadside bomb. The Taliban immediately claimed responsibility for the attack, which marks the first American deaths in Afghanistan this year.
    I pray for the healing grace of God for the families of these two heroes.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I think it's actually tougher on the families back home than it is for those in the military...At least those deployed have some control over their own safety, while the families can only wait and worry...WT Sherman was at least right about that much, "War is Hell"......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I had two Nephews stationed in Afghanistan. One was a doctor, who had a relatively cushy post in a big city Hospital as an Army Major, the other was an Army Private - who was on the very un-cushy front lines. Neither wants to go back, though they have very different reasons.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I had a customer who was a deputy for one of the local precincts...At the time when some of the civilian paramilitary companies (like Blackwater) were being contracted to take some of the US presence in Afghanistan, he applied for, and was accepted for a supervisory post...He's a very large man, an imposing figure, but in Afghanistan he was a giant...He's also a naturally friendly guy, and good with people...His Dad (who's so big he makes his son look small) showed us pictures he sent while he was over there...The Afghans they employed were in awe of him, not only because of his size, but because he treated them well...He grew a beard to match theirs, and they dressed just like him, although in much smaller clothes and boots...They also presented him with a dagger to wear in his belt...

He said they surrounded him anywhere he went, and if anyone even looked belligerent at him, they threatened to cut his head off and eat it...Needless to say he got his job done well in the year he was there, but like Hunter's nephews, he didn't want a second tour...He went back to street patrol......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I need to educate myself on why we are in Afghanistan. Anybody that has any non partisan scholarly articles that might enlighten me would be appreciated
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.