Thread: Sister Rosetta Tharpe - Godmother Of Rock 'N Roll

Sister Rosetta Tharpe - Godmother Of Rock 'N Roll

Sister Rosetta Tharpe, March 20, 1915 – October 9, 1973 (departed us at age 58).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sister...ical_influence

"Tharpe was a pioneer in her guitar technique; she was among the first popular recording artists to use heavy distortion on her electric guitar, opening the way to the rise of electric blues. Her guitar-playing technique had a profound influence on the development of British blues in the 1960s. Her European tour with Muddy Waters in 1964, with a stop in Manchester on May 7, is cited by British guitarists such as Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, and Keith Richards."
    - Wikipedia

Rolling Stone named Tharpe the 6th greatest guitarist of all time in 2023.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

i enjoy sister rosetta, and have listened to her for many years. yes, some consider her the godmother of rock and roll.
    Chuck Berry once said his entire career was “one long Sister Rosetta Tharpe impersonation.”
    it's time to change the air in my head

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Thank goodness we have recordings to remember her by

"This Train", one of her best known
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

i had to dig, but i thought i mentioned her in the youtube finds thread! yeah me
    http://www.crackerbarrelphilosophers...57#post1106957
    it's time to change the air in my head

An excellent selection, Dave. What an incredible talent.

Hunter