Thread: Flooring idea for Cap'n Mike's new farm shop...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Flooring idea for Cap'n Mike's new farm shop...

There seems to be a lot of artistry, craftwork and talent involved in this project, so this seemed to be the appropriate forum for it......Ben

The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

There was a time (in my lifetime) that wood block floors in manufacturing plants were at very least common---and possibly more the norm. Leading that parade were the auto companies.

One of the reasons they liked them is that they could rearrange their plants by pulling up the blocks, moving/adding/removing machines and then put the blocks back in the new openings. The workers also liked them because they were much easier on their feet and legs than concrete.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I've never seen it in person, but I like the look...My concern with no other knowledge of it would be how level is the surface?...By that I mean, are there any protruding edges that would make a clumsy oaf (such as me) trip and fall?...(I don't pick up my feet now as high as I did when I was taught to walk in the USAF)......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

The ones that I have walked on were fine. I think the blocks are all the same and they are for the most part on concrete.

One of the most "primitive" I saw was in a Saginaw Steering plant in Saginaw MI---it was a dirt floor. I was there to look at a robot. The robot was feeding sway bars into a furnace on a conveyor----the thing was so dirty it was hard to see even the name on it---I figured if it could run in that environment I was good to go with it!
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    There was a time (in my lifetime) that wood block floors in manufacturing plants were at very least common---and possibly more the norm. Leading that parade were the auto companies.

One of the reasons they liked them is that they could rearrange their plants by pulling up the blocks, moving/adding/removing machines and then put the blocks back in the new openings. The workers also liked them because they were much easier on their feet and legs than concrete.
    X2. Caterpillar's plants are the best example I have seen. They are smooth enough that Cat runs their autonomous vehicles on them. Back when I toured the place they called them robots, like they called the (non human) welders. Fascinating place(s).

On edit: at Cat they were bedded on sand just like your patio pavers.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

It is possible there was sand used under those blocks as well to "level" the floor slab and I just didn't see it. However, many of those factories were multi story so concrete would have been part of the "system".

Would it be possible to sand them once they are in place. I would wonder how thick they are? I had a great grandfather that used to repair the brick streets in KC, KS.
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson

This is an interesting thread I somehow missed nearly two years ago. I wonder how that happened?
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke