Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Be advised...

Be advised...

Do NOT attempt this at home...Professional driver at work here......Ben

The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

What kind of idiots build houses that overhang the road? (Rhetorical question, I know the answer).

When I saw him driving through town unloaded I wondered why? There was no way he was coming back loaded. Wrong!

I think helicopters might be a better choice.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    What kind of idiots build houses that overhang the road? (Rhetorical question, I know the answer).
    And for those who don't, the houses came first, then the roads...I've driven on those streets and roads (seldom sober) in my much younger days in my VW's and my Opel...Never hit anything either, but there is a good reason why the truckers in Europe prefer the shortest wheelbase cabovers they can find...The picture below is of my favorite ride in those days taken in one of the wider spots on the road along the Riviera...Note the semaphore turn signals on the "B" pillar, and ignore the wretch that the spokesmodel became following a life of wanton debauchery......Ben

The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Below is a view of some of the less restrictive highways I negotiated through the Alps......Ben

The impressive thing is that there does not appear to be a single scratch on the truck... or houses for that matter. The driver has patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    The driver has patience.
    Not to mention nerves of titanium......Ben

I like that Bug Ben what is that a 63.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    I like that Bug Ben what is that a 63.
    '56...The seats were trash when I bought it, but I located some red leather buckets (seen in the photo) in a wrecked Porsche 356 at the on-base junkyard...I scored them for $5 and installed them myself (a really tight fit) and drove in comfort all around western Europe...I'll admit I had to tackle some of the uphill grades with a flying start, and had to downshift all the way to 2nd gear to get over the top, but 36 horsepower always prevailed at last in the Alps...I number it among the most reliable of the succession of vehicles I've owned over the years......Ben

For the purists, I know that semaphore signals supposedly disappeared with the 1955 introduction, but mine was titled as a 1956, and I recall it having directional lights as well...It also had the twin chrome tailpipes indicative of a 1956 and later......Ben

Did that in Germany back when I was in a Nuclear missile outfit. Seems the only way to the off site fort was thru town. Traffic was usually stopped while spotters were out guiding the trucks thru. Then about the time I was leaving they brought in the square nose jobs with 4 wheel steering. Try that back then. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MGM-31...ershing_1a.png
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    '56...The seats were trash when I bought it, but I located some red leather buckets (seen in the photo) in a wrecked Porsche 356 at the on-base junkyard...I scored them for $5 and installed them myself (a really tight fit) and drove in comfort all around western Europe...I'll admit I had to tackle some of the uphill grades with a flying start, and had to downshift all the way to 2nd gear to get over the top, but 36 horsepower always prevailed at last in the Alps...I number it among the most reliable of the succession of vehicles I've owned over the years......Ben
    My first one was a 69. I drove it for 5 years. It was my first car. I liked it so much that I bought a 75 brand new and I drove it a few years. I miss my bugs. I have flirted with buying a used version of the new bug, but I can't get over the front engine.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    And for those who don't, the houses came first, then the roads...I've driven on those streets and roads (seldom sober) in my much younger days in my VW's and my Opel...Never hit anything either, but there is a good reason why the truckers in Europe prefer the shortest wheelbase cabovers they can find...The picture below is of my favorite ride in those days taken in one of the wider spots on the road along the Riviera...Note the semaphore turn signals on the "B" pillar, and ignore the wretch that the spokesmodel became following a life of wanton debauchery......Ben

Going for the Ted Bundy look huh.......................

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    Going for the Ted Bundy look huh.......................
    Bundy's VW was light tan, and when that picture was taken his hadn't even been built yet...And he had a different approach to women than I do......Ben

I had a few bugs as a kid too... Slam 'em, drop in a 2110 with dual carbs and they handled real well... I use to take my ex wife's to the track. People were impressed with the 2nd gear chirps I could produce.

Had a Baja Bug with a built 911 engine until I buried it on the beach in mexico. just me and a buddy around for miles so we pulled the engine as the tide was coming up and everything else was lost the the 22' tide in the Sea of Cortez (it floated for a while but never washed up on shore).. We had to carry that engine about a quarter mile to get it above the high tide line..Lost our cooler and all our beer sitting in the back seat... strange priorities back then I guess. At 15 I had most of my net worth wrapped up in that engine

Excellent historic pics, my friends.

My first car was a 1964 VW fastback I bought at 14 and put in the garage while my Mom was conveniently out of town. I caught hell, but kept the car, when she returned.

I swear I've seen those Alps curves in a Bond film, Ben.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead