Thread: A version of the F-4 I did not know about...

A version of the F-4 I did not know about...

Before my beloved F-4's were put out to pasture for good, an attempt to modernize the fleet was initiated by the Israelis...It appears that at least one copy was produced and made a startling appearance at the 1987 Paris Air Show...
    Most remarkably, the Super Phantom could supercruise, meaning it could sustain flight above the speed of sound without using fuel-gulping afterburners. Even today, the United States has only one operational super-cruising fighter, the F-22 Raptor.
    There are two videos from the Paris Air Show linked in the article, but cannot be embedded here for unknown reasons...Look for them in the text as they are worth watching...Note how the Super Phantom could now stand on its tail and accelerate straight up without its signature smoke trail following it......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

The only other video I found with footage of the upgraded Israeli F-4's is shown below...It appears to be from the IAF Museum...It would be an interesting place to visit...Note on the website the rules for visitors admonishing them against setting fires in the display area......Ben

The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...