Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A New Chapter in My Life

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    No problem with storage, the place has a 30' x 50' metal building on a concrete slab.
    Don't be so sure of that---my most recent barn is 40' x 100'---and somehow in the last 25 years the damn thing filled up
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Don't be so sure of that---my most recent barn is 40' x 100'---and somehow in the last 25 years the damn thing filled up
    I've always said I could fill the Astrodome if someone would move it to my backyard.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Congratulation. You'll have it filled in no time. I have the opposite problem. The house I bought they left all the appliances, which was great so I only bought a new refrigerator with an ice maker. And furniture that I have been sorting through. But there was a whole bunch of stuff left in the two garages. I got it sorted into one that is 20' X 22', it's half full. So I'm actually finding useful stuff in it, metal, wood and hardware. I've warned them that in the spring when I return I'm going through it and having a sale, then giving it away and finally there's two dumpsters on the side of the garage.

As far as the longhorns, I like my beef in the refrigerator.
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson

I just signed all the closing papers. I looks like I bought the farm!

I take possession February 8.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Good move for you, Mike...Literally...

Although I don't like it when good neighbors move away...There's no telling what kind of riff-raff might show up next......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Wonderful news very happy for you you're going to enjoy it
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Congradualtions!
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

That should give you time to settle in before this event...Diamond Lil is scheduled to perform those days...

For those wondering when your next chance comes, I refer you here......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Congrats Mike.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

I spent last week at the new place. We took the RV up and wired in a 50 Amp plug to power it while we decide what improvements to make to the house before moving in. Unfortunately, it rained 4 1/2 days out of the seven we were there. Finally, we were able to walk a soaked perimeter and check out the pasture Friday and Saturday before coming home on Sunday. We left the RV in place for the next trip. Today I bought a 20' utility trailer to start hauling my lifetime collection of stuff to the new place.

While we were there I actually saw a lot of stars after the rain left and we had a clear sky. No light pollution like in Houston. That was something I was looking forward to seeing. Another difference was in air traffic noise. I didn't hear one airplane or helicopter the entire week! I could see the aircraft, but they were too high to hear. It was wonderful after spending so many years not too far from Houston's Intercontinental.

I can't wait to get permanently moved.

I had forgotten how much it rains in the upper piney woods......Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    I had forgotten how much it rains in the upper piney woods......Ben
    It was actually an unusual event. Records were set. We get a lot more annual rain down here on the Gulf Coast.

It was actually an unusual event.
    I blame climate change...Surely my flawless memory can't be at fault......Ben

The fun part was watching my city-girl daughter experience a small slice of living in the country.

My nearest neighbor is running his cows on my place by agreement with the previous owner and now, me. My daughter has never been around cattle and just had to get close and touch them. I tried to tell her that we didn't know these cows and to back off, but she had to do it her way. As it turns out they were very tame and loved the attention. The neighbor said he was going to move them to another pasture and bring in some young ones. I hope they are as tame as this bunch or Nina will not be a happy camper.

She also burned through a bunch of .22 LR ammo using my new Glock 44 and an AR-15 I converted to .22 LR. I was happy to see the AR conversion function without any problems at all. She was shooting a 55 gallon drum at something over 100 yds.

So she has some new pets and a new shooting range...Knowing her, she'll be a very happy camper...And I'm sure the critters will appreciate her attention......Ben