Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A New Chapter in My Life

Quote Originally Posted by Independent Voter View Post
    Define " small farm " ie. 10-30 30-50 acres?
    14 acres, all improved pasture. About half of what I wanted, but this will do for a start. I can always up-size if this smaller size doesn't kill me first.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by CactusCurt View Post
    Ok, that works. We need pics. What will you name your pet longhorn? Nox?
    "Noxious" sounds good for the first one.

"Dan" for the most cantankerous of the bunch, and I mean that in a good way. I really miss Dan.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Good for you

Regarding the livestock---build the very best fence you can afford---chasing cows is not romantic
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Good for you

---chasing cows is not romantic
    Nope! Been there, done that, far too many times.

Dan had plenty of aliases. You can get a big ol herd.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by CactusCurt View Post
    Dan had plenty of aliases. You can get a big ol herd.
    Damn! I hadn't thought of that.

The problem is I'll need his ingenuity to keep that many cattle on such a small place............

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Damn! I hadn't thought of that.

The problem is I'll need his ingenuity to keep that many cattle on such a small place............
    If memory serves, the Hobby Airport Bath House District is small, yet it's home to a large number of residents - uh, suspects - OK, inmates......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Nope! Been there, done that, far too many times.
    A Dependable well installed fence charging system is very effective controlling cattle. It can be quite cost-effective as compared to building massive fences around the property. I found that once the cows had gotten a taste of a professional charging system they did not want any more of it ever. Never had another one get out. The company below is a local company that makes the absolute best fence Chargers in the United States. They are suppliers to Disney's Animal Kingdom. This is the company I buy my Chargers from they are unbelievable. And they stand behind their products

https://www.taylorfence.net/about_us.php#
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    If memory serves, the Hobby Airport Bath House District is small, yet it's home to a large number of residents - uh, suspects - OK, inmates......Ben
    Damn fond memories of those characters. Wonder if Dan's regaling stories for those in Heaven. Devil probably kicked him out long ago.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    Y'all was ...hmmm.....busy?...while I was away.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by FredK View Post
    Devil probably kicked him out long ago.
    Dan was an engineer, so old Forktail wouldn't have liked all his ideas about air-conditioning the joint...

It should probably be noted that FredK appears to have his own separate biography linked in the righthand sidebar...What a gloryhound......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Now for an opposing viewpoint.. have lived on a half acre for forty years. (16 miles west of the White House, one mile east of NRA museum).. partially retired for ten years then fully retired for another ten..

Be forewarned young apprentice retiree.. the half acre has doubled in size over the past ten years.. fall leaf blowing, raking and hauling has increased three fold in the past ten years.. can’t go up on the roof anymore.. can’t climb a ladder anymore.. just mowing the lawn takes an afternoon and can’t do front and back at the same time..

Good luck.. but be forewarned..

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Now for an opposing viewpoint.. have lived on a half acre for forty years. (16 miles west of the White House, one mile east of NRA museum).. partially retired for ten years then fully retired for another ten..

Be forewarned young apprentice retiree.. the half acre has doubled in size over the past ten years.. fall leaf blowing, raking and hauling has increased three fold in the past ten years.. can’t go up on the roof anymore.. can’t climb a ladder anymore.. just mowing the lawn takes an afternoon and can’t do front and back at the same time..

Good luck.. but be forewarned..
    Having lived on a little over 2 acres for the past 31 years, I feel your pain. Since I retired 5 years ago everything seems to be a bigger task. At a very young 67, I think I will live longer with this new adventure than I would sitting around the house between grass cuttings - I don't do leaves, have a mulching attachment on the the Z-turn for that.

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    I’m often told to mulch my leaves.. I go out into the back yard every few nice days with the big stehl back pack blower and “round up” the leaves to a 10x30 mound down the center of the back yard.. I use a 9x18 tarp to move the leaves to the front ditch where the city “super suck” truck picks them up. I haul 7-9 tarps full, three different times each season.. front is easier.. mow/mulch late in season and then blow everything up to the ditch.. front is all neighborhoods donations..

I’m the oldest neighbor Still using a (gas) push mower, my 1982 Snapper on its 5th engine.. new Kid neighbors all have little tractors..

At 69 a knee had a major failure.. the new steel knee isn’t all that was in the advertisement.. (finalized no roofs or ladders)..

Buying a new truck (96 4Runner has frame rust issues, RR shock fell off while still bolted to mount) new truck will be a slushbox, first one I’ve ever owned.. unplanned things happen.

I hope that you enjoy the new homestead for many years.

Oh.. and storage units are $$$ pits.. after six months donate the contents to charity and cut your losses..

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    .........Oh.. and storage units are $$$ pits.. after six months donate the contents to charity and cut your losses..
    No problem with storage, the place has a 30' x 50' metal building on a concrete slab. I'll probably build a climate controlled space inside.