Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I can't decide...

This guy is going to build an internal combustion engine from a automobile A/C compressor. Pretty interesting. Too bad he doesn't understand the limitations of Lexan.

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

i was going to ask why he used a plastic cylinder head, but he explained at the end...Interesting, but I'll probably continue to rely on my diesel......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

After watching these guys duplicate a factory double frame with their homemade brake press, I'm convinced they can fix anything but a broken heart or a hole in the sky...But how they're not all cripples from using sledgehammers with sandaled feet is beyond me......Ben

The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I'd bet they are just as good, if not better, in Cuba.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I'd bet they are just as good, if not better, in Cuba.
    I've read about some of the old cars and tricks they've kept running since the 50's...They are innovative for sure......Ben

Just in contrast, here is a video showing how some of the same work might be done in Belgium with more sophisticated equipment, cleaner working environment, certainly safer personal protection gear and a competitive mustache...Unknown at this point is to what degree of horror the Belgians would recoil if faced with the same amount of rust and corrosion found on the Pakistani trucks after their decades of service on the questionable goat paths used as roadways......Ben

And the Pakistanis laugh at the stupid infidel who cannot fix anything himself!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    And the Pakistanis laugh at the stupid infidel who cannot fix anything himself!
    Yep, they are even accustomed to making roadside repairs while expecting an attack from the Taliban......Ben

That makes the haul road (now the Dalton Highway)up to Prudhoe Bay look like an Interstate!
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

What's that?...You have a cracked 40 year old split rim, and you need a replacement?...No, no, not necessary...We have the parts in stock to fix that today...Bring it right over...The Pakistan Office of Workers Health & Safety just finished their inspection tour, and we can get started immediately......Ben

The first thing that caught my eye was the sandals, I have tender feet I wouldn't make it a day.
    This is your mind on drugs!

Quote Originally Posted by mgrist View Post
    The first thing that caught my eye was the sandals, I have tender feet I wouldn't make it a day.
    Apparently they take the term "steel toed" to another level......Ben

...from my margin. The Amish do this same process on a daily basis. They are generally built in specialty shops that build only wheels.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    That one came up in my YouTube feed a few days ago...I thought at the time there's no way I could enjoy a meal (or anything else) with a 1,000 pound wheel hanging over my head......Ben

Things like that, have always both amazed me and frustrated me---why is it that everyone doesn't see what I see?

One of the most common when I was in the construction business is raising the body of a dump truck and then walking under it to do something without a prop in place. Now---the most common is walking under a fork lift with a load overhead---both done with seemingly no concern for their own safety.