Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I can't decide...

Need a new gear for your Korean War era Isuzu 2 1/2 ton side-dumper, and don't want to wait on a factory backorder?...Here's the guy to see......Ben

The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Just one rather serious problem with that---it isn't the correct size. All casting patterns are oversized to allow for shrinkage. Pattern makers have special rules---for different metals that have the compensation built in---as an example (without checking the actual number) a pattern maker's rule for aluminum might be 12.065" at the 12" mark.

We had a lab in college where we made patterns, then the sand molds and poured castings (all aluminum). Our Lab instructor had been the foreman on the largest pit casting ever made---it was the base (platform) for a Lima steam locomotive.

Beyond that little defect that guy is pretty efficient in what he was doing--and most everything was within easy reach.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Interesting, Dave, thanks...I was actually wondering how they allowed for shrinkage, and now I know...Maybe Pakistani tolerances are a little looser than standard SAE......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    Maybe Pakistani tolerances are a little looser than standard SAE......Ben
    Exactly---in those countries close is good enough
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Precision driveshaft straightening and balancing in Pakistan...The guy's welding skills seem exceptional, but I question the results of his next skin cancer evaluation given his lack of protective gear...I would also not give much for the chances of the bearings or the other internal moving surfaces of the lathe since the ground for the arc welder seems to be on the lathe and not on the workpiece...

But as Dave says, close enough is close enough......Ben

Refacing a flywheel, relining a clutch disc, and proper overhaul of a pressure plate...Measuring the flywheel thickness on the lathe is done with mechanical verniers...I'm wondering how many of today's machinists can read a caliper that does not have a direct-reading dial attached, nor a digital display; I know Dave and I can do it...Adhering strictly to Pakistani torque specifications, final tightening of the flywheel bolts to the crankshaft end is done with a breaker bar and a helper pushing with his sandaled feet......Ben

I just got a chance to look at this on a high seed connection--impressive and sad all at the same time. The absolute lack of any safety thought is scary at best----cutting steel with a torch while wearing sandals is beyond stupid.

I was highly impressed with the visual quality of the rivets they were putting in---obviously it was not their first rodeo.

The rear suspension looks to have a close "relationship" to a Mack suspension.

I just watched the clutch shop at work

The face grinder appears to have been made in the same shop as it is in now.

It all looks to be akin to horseshoes---but inventive

Why re-core a radiator, when all it really needs is to have a few fins straightened, then pull the tanks off, rod out all the tubes and flush them out with muriatic acid?...Then all you have to do is reseal the core bolster and reinstall the tanks with good old long-lasting lead solder...Maybe filter all the big chunks out of the old coolant through the shirt you wore yesterday, refill and run-test...Voila!......Ben

It seems not long ago we used to do a lot of these same things here--with a little more finesse but not a lot. When I was a kid we had a "battery guy" who rebuilt wet cell batteries. He would melt the pitch on the top, pull the cells out, fix or replace them as necessary and then put the top back on and "pour in place".

Radiators--when they were still copper were also repaired or re-cored.

Here is one I ran into while watching yours---go to the 2 minute mark---try not to let your lower jaw hit the desk

...and....at 40 sec into this finally we have a worker with suitable foot gear.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 01-03-2020 at 05:07 PM.

Over the years I'v watched a lot of homemade wood splitter videos, but I've never seen any that are as crazy dangerous as the one Dave posted above.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    ...and....at 40 sec into this finally we have a worker with suitable foot gear.
    And suddenly with that video, "wood" becomes a very appropriate topic......Ben

You say you bent the jack shaft on your hydraulic dump truck?...Not to worry...First we'll heat it in the afternoon sun to soften it up...Then we'll use this broken bandsaw blade for a straightedge...A few strokes with our homemade shop press...Clean it up with a little emery cloth, and you're ready to go back to work after lunch......Ben

Here's something I used to do that, strangely enough, most of the area mechanics wouldn't touch - rebuilding an alternator...the majority of the others would rather just call the parts store and say, "Send me a rebuilt"...By rebuilding it myself, I made more money because I could bill more time, and didn't have to wait on parts because we stocked them; the shop made more money because the profit on labor and parts was higher; and the customer saved money because the end result cost less and worked better than the "factory rebuilts"...My test equipment may have been a bit more sophisticated than these guys, but I still didn't have the investment of the commercial rebuilders...I also used a mineral spirits tank to clean parts, and not the water and gasoline shown in the video, but you work with whatever you have...

I notice their final output check is done on the lathe with the old spark-and light test...I used my SnapOn carbon pile and volt/amp meters...Some of my competitors didn't even know how to index an alternator for mounting...If the bolts didn't line up, they called the parts store saying they sent the wrong alternator, resulting in more downtime for everyone...From what I see here, I would trust them to rebuild my alternator, but I'd hate to pay their workman's comp insurance from using a wire wheel on parts without a face shield......Ben