Thread: I meet the nicest people in the precious metals business...

I meet the nicest people in the precious metals business...

This afternoon I was walking a different route, about a mile and a half, and took a few detours making some excellent finds in pre-flattened aluminum...I had just about filled up the sack I brought, and was on my way home...An older couple in an old Toyota sedan stopped beside me in the road, and the lady asked where I was going and before I could answer the man who was driving asked if I needed any help...They both looked pretty down on their luck themselves, so I just told them I was fine, thanked them and wished them a Merry Christmas...After they left it dawned on me that in my ex-gun dealer uniform (old t-shirt, raggedy jeans and worn-out tennis shoes) they probably thought I was homeless and hungry, but they stopped and offered to help anyway...

The Christmas spirit is alive and well here......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Oak Ridge North Texas, A Native Texan, The Few The Proud
    Merry Christmas Ben. Must have been the same couple that gave a Franklin when they saw my skinny self dumpster diving.
    My small tribute to Marc.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW! What a ride!"

Love ya Man!

Quote Originally Posted by ricky View Post
    Merry Christmas Ben. Must have been the same couple that gave a Franklin when they saw my skinny self dumpster diving.
    And Merry Christmas back atcha, Ricky...But these two didn't look like they'd seen a C-note since before the last depression......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I give food. If I see a precious metal collector when I'm heading to Sprouts I'll drive through the McD's and get a couple egg muffins to hand them when I leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    If I see a precious metal collector when I'm heading to Sprouts I'll drive through the McD's and get a couple egg muffins to hand them when I leave.
    Try to remember I like jalapenos on mine when you see me collecting......Ben

I would be watching for no shoulders as warm as it is............................
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    I give food.
    I like it. Nice job, 'Bo.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I agree, it is a little difficult to convert a chesse burger to other bad choices. Excellent idea Bo.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    My $14.00 cup of coffee.. what Bo said!

So.. It’s my day of the month to work.. have a 0600 “call” at the Portrait Gallery.. Portriat Gallery is the old patent office building between 9th-7th and F-G streets.. next to it, across 7th is the old Verizon Center, where the basketball and hockey teams play, it occupies G st in that block.. right at the end of G st, across from the gallery, on the street level of the arena, is a 24 hour McDonalds (and a kizillion other stores) it’s on the edge of Chinatown and kinds the “Times Square” of DC..

So.. I arrived x0545 and walk from the employee enterance at 8th & G to McDucks at 7th & G.. entering McDucks I don’t notice the security guard with a person on the sidewalk.. walk up to the counter and order coffee, nooo they can’t give me a cup of coffee.. noooo they give me a number ticket..
    As I’m receiving my change, there is a guy arguing (and making no sense) with a counter person.. I slide my change over and pay the disputed amount and silence the noise..
    As I’m waiting for my number to be called, I am bumped.. I’m asked for money, I decline.. then the bumper plays his “trump card” (Bridge, not politics Trump) and uses the “H” word.. I’m hungry... well because of the downtown location, the $1 menu is $2 there.. before my number was called.. I’d payed over $14.00 for coffee..
    Last edited by Sandman; 12-27-2019 at 09:55 AM.

It's a good day when you are offered an opportunity to stand that tall that early in the morning
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    My $14.00 cup of coffee.. what Bo said!

So.. It’s my day of the month to work.. have a 0600 “call” at the Portrait Gallery.. Portriat Gallery is the old patent office building between 9th-7th and F-G streets.. next to it, across 7th is the old Verizon Center, where the basketball and hockey teams play, it occupies G st in that block.. right at the end of G st, across from the gallery, on the street level of the arena, is a 24 hour McDonalds (and a kizillion other stores) it’s on the edge of Chinatown and kinds the “Times Square” of DC..

So.. I arrived x0545 and walk from the employee enterance at 8th & G to McDucks at 7th & G.. entering McDucks I don’t notice the security guard with a person on the sidewalk.. walk up to the counter and order coffee, nooo they can’t give me a cup of coffee.. noooo they give me a number ticket..
    As I’m receiving my change, there is a guy arguing (and making no sense) with a counter person.. I slide my change over and pay the disputed amount and silence the noise..
    As I’m waiting for my number to be called, I am bumped.. I’m asked for money, I decline.. then the bumper plays his “trump card” (Bridge, not politics Trump) and uses the “H” word.. I’m hungry... well because of the downtown location, the $1 menu is $2 there.. before my number was called.. I’d payed over $14.00 for coffee..
    good on you!
    This is your mind on drugs!

I give and I give frequently but I will give nothing to anybody that pressures me in public.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Today I was walking one of my 2 1/2 mile routes when my barber for the last 35 or so years (pictured in this thread) saw me and stopped in the road, asking if I'm OK...She was not aware of the gun dealers retirement program, but I explained it to her quickly, and she was on her way before some moron could run into her at 70 MPH...Maybe I should snag one of those county issued road crew vests so people will just assume I'm doing court-ordered community service......Ben

I've been know to make donations at the fuel island in truck stops.
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Blue74 View Post
    I've been know to make donations at the fuel island in truck stops.
    We appreciate it...There have been reports on my little town of some suspicious derelict looking through trash cans in the parks, but so far he has eluded capture...A crafty devil no doubt......Ben