Thread: “New” truck ideas.. sticker shock

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..

“New” truck ideas.. sticker shock

The story.. 16 years ago I bought a used 1996 Toyota 4Runner.. I now is 24 years old and turned 216k miles yesterday.

The body is perfect.. the interior is great.. the frame and underside are shot!

Right rear shock broke off.. top of shock went up through the mounting hole in the frame and started banging on the floor.. was like being inside a bell..

Rear heat water line has rusted off..

Engine “skid shield” has rust holes..

Valve cover leaks and won’t stop because of pressure from engine blow by..

Need ideas on a replacement.. want a manual transmission, because I like it..

Looking at a Tacoma 4 door..
    NewToyoya is $30k.. used Toyota is $25k..
    love the fj Cruiser but they have frame rust issues, and are all over $20k and 100k miles.

Ideas?

We had a Taco and are going to get another. Going to be my daily ride when I get the kids off the payroll. We had a '97 4runner. Had electric lockers and other cool stuff. We wish we still had that one also. My friend had an fj and happily traded it for a taco.

To me the tundra is too big. I have a big truck
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Mine is a “base line”.. 4 cylinder, 5 speed.. has electric door locks (real handy) and remote power mirrors (I forget that I have that feature).. came with steel 16 inch wheels, replaced with (new, take off) 2000 Limited five spoke wheels.

Had an 85.. sold at 130k because I needed back doors for elder care.. then a 1990.. had the 3.slow V6.. sold at 150k when I found the 96..

96 was garage kept but drove the beach in summer and to ski resorts (salty roads) in winter.. first owner had every done by Toyota, added CD player, all service even tires were from Toyota.. his new wife wouldn’t drive a stick..

Oh.. A/C still blows cold.. cruise still works..

That's a tall order---seems manual transmissions are almost gone---even in the big rigs
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    That's a tall order---seems manual transmissions are almost gone---even in the big rigs
    Yes.. in 2012 we bought our first “slush box”.. Subaru was about the only one out there with a manual.. in 2018 sold my F-350, was one of the last six speed made.. Fiat (Ram) still offers one with the Cummins..

Bottom line is.. I like it..

I fully understand----my "toy" has a 6 speed in it and I'd be hard pressed to think of an auto--although that too is now only going to be automatic

BTW----it's good to see you back again
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Fiat (Ram) still offers one with the Cummins..
    Not any more......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I've been looking at Tacoma's (Is that the Taco) had one I bought new in 05, had it about 8 years and never saw a dealer or a mechanic. At 100,000 I finally replaced the brake pads that still looked new, it was a stick so really never much used the brakes. It was a 4 cyl. and did everything I needed it to do but I got offered good money for it with around 150 miles on it so I sold it. They want too much for the new ones but I've seen some good deals on the four cyl ones. I was looking at the start for 4X4 but then you have to get the six cyl engine ect...and the price really goes up. But I'm dreaming anyway so why not.
    This is your mind on drugs!

Mine is a 2.7L 4cyl just runs and runs..

I tell people... see the pickup truck with the machine gun mounted in the back? It’s never had the oil changed and the air filter is clogged and it’s doing 70mph across the desert... that’s my engine!

Any opinions/experiences with Fiat Wrangler? A baseline Jeep with a hardtop is x$10k less than a Tacoma.. all kinds of discounts, mark downs, rebates.. I’m old.. don’t need another 16 (or 24) year truck..

Anyone else see the new Motor Trend? They made the new RAM HD trucks (2500 & 3500) winners of the year. The tested vehicles, optioned as trucks usually are, stickered at $68 G (2500) and $88 G (3500). Way pricey, in my opinion.

But, a glimmer of hope here, my friends. The 6.7 RAM Duramax diesel now makes 1,000 lb-ft of torque at 1,800 RPM. WOW!!!

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Oak Ridge North Texas, A Native Texan, The Few The Proud
    I like my 99 F 350 with the six speed. Still going strong at 382,000 miles. I think I'll keep it.
    My small tribute to Marc.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW! What a ride!"

Love ya Man!

If it's still running, how come I never see it any more?
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    If it's still running, how come I never see it any more?
    We need proof...I think another RatFest is in order......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by ricky View Post
    I like my 99 F 350 with the six speed. Still going strong at 382,000 miles. I think I'll keep it.
    My 01 may it rest in peace, had a 6 speed but I wish it had a 7 speed or 8. It died killing a Honda Accord.
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson