Thread: In a Reversal, Fewer Migrants Are Arrested at the Border

In a Reversal, Fewer Migrants Are Arrested at the Border

Extract from this morning's WSJ:

As shelters empty, experts credit Trump administration’s controversial ‘Remain in Mexico’ program and increased Mexican security

By Alicia A. Caldwell,
    Alejandro Lazo and
    Juan Montes
    Updated Dec. 10, 2019 10:42 am ET

Arrests of people crossing the Southwestern border have plummeted 75% since May, marking one of the most dramatic drops in recent history and a sign that policy changes by the Trump administration and Mexico are reducing migration to the U.S.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection said Monday that 33,510 people were arrested after illegally crossing the border in November, marking the sixth straight monthly decline since May, when 132,000 such apprehensions marked a 13-year high.

The majority of those apprehended last year were families and unaccompanied children from Central America, nearly all of whom surrendered to border officials seeking asylum in the U.S. An unexpected surge of such migrants in the spring of this year created a crisis as the federal government proved unable to process them efficiently in safe and healthy conditions.

Of those arrested in November, 9,000 were traveling as families, according to CBP.

Border arrests typically decline this time of year and rise again in the spring when temperatures warm. Even so, the May-November decline is the biggest in absolute numbers and second biggest by percentage of any six-month period this century. The last few months of the Obama administration and the first few of the Trump administration saw a 76% drop,
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Thanks for the positive post. Many felt all along that the Trump border plan would ultimately work. While we are at it, today the House approved the Trump renegotiated NAFTA treaty with Pelosi stating "no question this agreement is better than NAFTA". Another success by this president. Of course immediately after Pelosi issued that statement she ran out and impeached the guy. Sick stuff.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

An economic/prosperity leading indicator.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Crescent City CA. where the redwoods meet the sea.
    Impeach has become just a game they play, "kinda" sad thru we need a better congress than were getting now..
    Old redneck hillbilly borned and raised on a redwood stump.