Thread: RIP Marieke Vervoort

RIP Marieke Vervoort

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Even though I have never been there, and never experienced that level of pain, I can say from my far-removed viewpoint that I do not support any person's decision to commit suicide...Life is too valuable to voluntarily end it...I am aware of the many arguments to support it, but I am not in an argumentative mood today......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

That makes two of us

I have my own moral conflicts with it but I also have empathy for people like her.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

My sister 82 years old died yesterday. She had been in a " rest home " for eight years and nine days ago suffered a massive stroke. Unable to talk normally but with much difficulty she could be understood, could not move her left side or swallow. The Drs agreed that the only thing they could do is put a feeding tube in her and sustain life that way. She would have to spend the rest of her life in that condition.
    In a long and difficult talk with her children, she decided to opt for " comfort care only " In other woads, keep her doped up and in no pain and let her die. Her choice. Sad is it was, it was the correct thing to do. [ IMO ] She no longer has pain and does not have to spend months or years unable to move or have a viable life. Assisted suicide, in some cases , is the correct decision.
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

Sorry to hear of your loss but I agree with the way it was handled 100%. It's what Nurse Paula and I have agreed to do for each other. It's stated in our living will.

Sorry for your loss, IV. I also agree with the decision. I've been planning to get a living will with advanced directives so I can be taken care of the same way.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    IV.. sorry for your loss.. my dad was in a situation similar to your sister, he did the same thing.

My condolences IV.

My wife and I both have living wills and stipulate that we are to pass without extraordinary measures to sustain us.

Quote Originally Posted by Independent Voter View Post
    My sister 82 years old died yesterday. She had been in a " rest home " for eight years and nine days ago suffered a massive stroke.
    Sorry to hear of your sister's passing, Dick...My Mom's passing away in hospice care at home has caused me to rethink the "living will" argument...Mom went without pain nor incident in the manner she wanted, which was allowing God to receive her soul when He was ready...But I now see the advantage of having a living will, and it is my intention to make one for myself......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

The love we feel for a life partner may at times do a disservice to the loved one. Doctors do their damnedest to keep people alive which is a good thing. However, there comes a time when the end of life is the best option and continued attempts to sustain life become a burden on all parties. Death with dignity is becoming more prevalent and is something that should be available to all who wish it IF, and only IF such action has been thoroughly discussed and the only option is , as Dave said , extreme measures over the remaining lifetime of the person.
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

At the end of November I read an opinion piece in the the Washington Post. It was written by a medical doctor and it got my attention. Reading this article is what made me decide to get the living will and advanced directives before it is too late. Read the article, it is short and to the point.

Article
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I like it...I also like the term "comfort care"...It adds to my understanding of the dying process......Ben

Excellent article.

The single most rewarding and memorable college course I have ever taken was titled "Death and Dying". This was one of my only ventures outside of my STEM focus and happened independently of any other academic pursuits.

One of the issues discussed was the lack of training of our doctors regarding death--they are all about preventing death and thus ignore the reality of death.

One of the books used in the course was On Death and Dying by Elizabeth Kubler-Ross. I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to confront this reality--of all of our realities.

Both my wife and my living wills are on file with our primary physician, our local hospital and our lawyer. Our family is well aware of them and where to find them---most importantly they know our wishes.

I had a chance to give this a trial run last fall. Before they took me into the operating room the first time (and my wife was there) the surgeon asked me about my wishes. I was alert enough to understand what he was asking--and I confirmed, that I did not want to be on any kind of life support. He came back at me with a clarification---if they could be reasonably assured of my survival by temporary life support methods--would I still object. I agreed that would be acceptable as long as my wife agreed in the event I was unable to participate.

Luckily, I had no need to test that---I came back out with both legs still attached and no life support.

Sorry to hear IV about your sister.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'