Thread: I've Never Seen a Ferry Like This

I've Never Seen a Ferry Like This

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    How many busses ended up (or down) on the ocean floor before they worked the bugs out of the process.??

You have to love third world ingenuity....

Here is the last operating ferry(s) on the Susquehanna River in PA. There are two operating craft at this crossing. I haven't taken them in many years, but they used to be powered by Farmall M engines. The river is about a mile wide at this point, 30 miles north of Harrisburg.

Each ferry consists of two barges. The first is the one were the vehicles are carried, the second is lashed to its side. It consists of a passenger area and the drive unit consisting of the engine and the stern wheels.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Dude snubbing off the line damn near got himself killed!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Dude snubbing off the line damn near got himself killed!
    I noticed that little tripping event as well--he might have something other than black coffee in his thermos!

For a little more detail, the Captain/pilot is in the barge with the passengers.

If you noticed the route is not straight but significantly bowed. When they leave either side they head up river at maybe 20 degrees. They stay on that heading until about mid river and then straiten out and allow the current to push them back down river and end at the landing on the other side. During periods of high water they go on a greater angle up river, in low water the opposite.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

One of the rules on my boat is to never put yourself between the boat and the dock or another boat. Fiberglass is a lot less painful to fix.