Thread: SmartBolts

SmartBolts

These may have been around for a long time, but it is new to me. Very cool if they work as advertised.

SmartBolts
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I never heard of it either...Apparently it's a product of Industrial Indicators...Dave may have more info......Ben

On edit, that could be a real advantage in an application like high-horsepower engines such as drag racing or tractor pulling where headbolt stretch is common...In the Air Force we safety-wired most bolts after torquing, to prevent movement with vibration in flight, but safety-wiring would not compensate for fastener stretch...
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I have not seen them before either. It gives an instate indicator to anyone checking the torque---without having to go back on them with another torque wrench.

Down sides: An over torque would not be obvious and I'm afraid the cost would limit their application.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis